Try and Catch method

I use a try and catch method to see if the string input was a valid integer or not (I try to parse it then catch a number exception if there is one). However the new integer i create from the string (if theres no exception) doesn't seem to initialize after i close the Try method. How can I create this variable so it's scope is seen by the entire program.

Try{
int = Double.parseDouble(stringInput);
}catch (NumberFormatException nFE){
system.out.println("Try again");
}

System.out.println(int);//Variable might have not been initialized (error)

Comments

• : I use a try and catch method to see if the string input was a valid integer or not (I try to parse it then catch a number exception if there is one). However the new integer i create from the string (if theres no exception) doesn't seem to initialize after i close the Try method. How can I create this variable so it's scope is seen by the entire program.
    :
    : Try{
    : int = Double.parseDouble(stringInput);
    : }catch (NumberFormatException nFE){
    : system.out.println("Try again");
    : }
    :
    : System.out.println(int);//Variable might have not been initialized (error)
    :
    :
    You should either initialize the value to a default value before the try-catch block, or within the catch block. If an exception occurs, the variable int isn't initialized, which causes the error.
  • I have it looped so that if a valid integer isn't entered they have to keep trying. It's only when i try and express the variable outside of the block it gives me an error. But if i express the variable inside the block it prints to screen (the program compiles).
  • : I have it looped so that if a valid integer isn't entered they have to keep trying. It's only when i try and express the variable outside of the block it gives me an error. But if i express the variable inside the block it prints to screen (the program compiles).
    :
    The compiler cannot evaluate how often a loop runs. Thus the code:
    [code]
    while
    {
    try
    int = something
    catch () {
    }
    }
    read int
    [/code]
    will be evaluated by the compiler in every way. This will give an execution-path, for which int has not been initialized (an error and only 1 time through the loop). Even if the loop cannot exit without int having a value, the compiler still takes that possibility into account.
    The solution is simple:
    [code]
    int = 0; // give int a default value
    while
    {
    try
    int = something
    catch () {
    }
    }
    read int
    [/code]
    If the loop is well designed, int will never be 0, unless something equals 0.
  • thanks, works fine now....funny how you can easily forget the simple things.