use shell extension .dll out of an .exe (wrapper?)

Hi,
I have a little question, hope somebody can help.

So let's start:
I have a .dll that's normally used as a shell extension. It adds a fuctionality to windows explorers context menu. (a dialog pops up and tell's something about the internal file version).

Now I want to write an executable that exactly does the same by using the dll. starts up the dialog. the argv[1] should be used to specify the file which is (as an extension) the clicked one.

Normally a dll. exports a function to call with LoadLibrary and getProcAdress.

Thats the Exported Functions of the dll:
DllCanUnloadNow
DllGetClassObject
DllRegisterServer
DllUnregisterServer

Which one to call?
How the Shell calls the DialogBox?
Is there a regestry key, where the 'call' is specified?
Is it possible to call the shell extension dialog from the .exe?

ThX
drax

Comments

• : Hi,
    : I have a little question, hope somebody can help.
    :
    : So let's start:
    : I have a .dll that's normally used as a shell extension. It adds a fuctionality to windows explorers context menu. (a dialog pops up and tell's something about the internal file version).
    :
    : Now I want to write an executable that exactly does the same by using the dll. starts up the dialog. the argv[1] should be used to specify the file which is (as an extension) the clicked one.
    :
    : Normally a dll. exports a function to call with LoadLibrary and getProcAdress.
    :
    : Thats the Exported Functions of the dll:
    : DllCanUnloadNow
    : DllGetClassObject
    : DllRegisterServer
    : DllUnregisterServer
    :
    : Which one to call?
    : How the Shell calls the DialogBox?
    : Is there a regestry key, where the 'call' is specified?
    : Is it possible to call the shell extension dialog from the .exe?
    :
    : ThX
    : drax

You shouldn't call any of the exported functions. Those are functions belonging the the COM-subsystem. This means that you shouldn't even LoadLibrary the dll, but instead, instantiate a COM-class which exposes the methods you need.
    Now this may be an entirely new subject for you, so I advise to learn more about COM.
    If you search the registry from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for the dll, you will probably find it somewhere, which means the dll is 'registered' as a COM-server. (hence the exported DllRegisterServer-method. This one is used by the Regsvr32 utility to register dll's as COM-servers. Guess what DllUnregisterServer does...).

Greets,
    Eric Goldstein
    http://www.gvh-maatwerk.nl

• Thanks,
    I gonna have a look on COM Server, and give a feedback if i'm closer to the solution.