Help with writing sql statement to a log file

[b][red]This message was edited by rnojoe23 at 2006-9-12 11:56:53[/red][/b][hr]
I am running a script that inserts records into a SQL 2000 database. I am getting a syntax error and the record fails to make it into the database. I would like to be able to see the whole sql statement so I can determine why its not getting written to the database.

my question is. how do I write a big long sql statement to the log file so I can see it.

here is some of my code

strRet: String;
stlSql: TStringList;

Begin
Writeln(mfilLog,'Starting import of records');

stlSql.Clear
stlSql.Add(INSERT INTO TableA VALUES;
stlSql.Add(more);
stlSql.Add(Even more)
stlSql.Add(lots more)

frmdb.RunTheSql(stlSql,strRet);
If StrRet <> '' then
begin
Writeln(mfilLog,'Unable to insert Record:'+
strFieldA+'/'+strFieldB);
Writeln(mfilLog,' '+StrRet);

The log file reads

Unable to insert Record:12345/AB
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server} Line 2: Incorrect syntax near ",".

I tried to add Writeln(mfilLog,' '+stlSql); but that would not compile giving me a "main.pas(785): Incompatible types: 'String' and 'TStringList'. error

Can anyone help me write the stlSql statement to the log file so I can see the exact record that the script is trying to insert into the database

I am running Delphi Version 3

Thank you very much

joe

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by rnojoe23 at 2006-9-12 11:56:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am running a script that inserts records into a SQL 2000 database. I am getting a syntax error and the record fails to make it into the database. I would like to be able to see the whole sql statement so I can determine why its not getting written to the database.
    :
    : my question is. how do I write a big long sql statement to the log file so I can see it.
    :
    : here is some of my code
    :
    : strRet: String;
    : stlSql: TStringList;
    :
    : Begin
    : Writeln(mfilLog,'Starting import of records');
    :
    : stlSql.Clear
    : stlSql.Add(INSERT INTO TableA VALUES;
    : stlSql.Add(more);
    : stlSql.Add(Even more)
    : stlSql.Add(lots more)
    :
    : frmdb.RunTheSql(stlSql,strRet);
    : If StrRet <> '' then
    : begin
    : Writeln(mfilLog,'Unable to insert Record:'+
    : strFieldA+'/'+strFieldB);
    : Writeln(mfilLog,' '+StrRet);
    :
    : The log file reads
    :
    : Unable to insert Record:12345/AB
    : [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server} Line 2: Incorrect syntax near ",".
    :
    : I tried to add Writeln(mfilLog,' '+stlSql); but that would not compile giving me a "main.pas(785): Incompatible types: 'String' and 'TStringList'. error
    :
    : Can anyone help me write the stlSql statement to the log file so I can see the exact record that the script is trying to insert into the database
    :
    : I am running Delphi Version 3
    :
    : Thank you very much
    :
    : joe
    :
    The TStrings object has a Text property, which holds the complete text in all the lines. The write statement should read:
    [code]
    Writeln(mfilLog,' '+stlSql.Text);
    [/code]
    Also beware that the log will increase with each added line. To remove the line endings from the sql statement, use the StringReplace() function.
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by rnojoe23 at 2006-9-12 11:56:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I am running a script that inserts records into a SQL 2000 database. I am getting a syntax error and the record fails to make it into the database. I would like to be able to see the whole sql statement so I can determine why its not getting written to the database.
    : :
    : : my question is. how do I write a big long sql statement to the log file so I can see it.
    : : here is some of my code
    : : strRet: String;
    : : stlSql: TStringList;
    : : Begin
    : : Writeln(mfilLog,'Starting import of records');
    : : stlSql.Clear
    : : stlSql.Add(INSERT INTO TableA VALUES;
    : : stlSql.Add(more);
    : : stlSql.Add(Even more)
    : : stlSql.Add(lots more)
    : : frmdb.RunTheSql(stlSql,strRet);
    : : If StrRet <> '' then
    : : begin
    : : Writeln(mfilLog,'Unable to insert Record:'+
    : : strFieldA+'/'+strFieldB);
    : : Writeln(mfilLog,' '+StrRet);
    : : The log file reads
    : : Unable to insert Record:12345/AB
    : : [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server} Line 2: Incorrect syntax near ",".
    : : I tried to add Writeln(mfilLog,' '+stlSql); but that would not compile giving me a "main.pas(785): Incompatible types: 'String' and 'TStringList'. error
    : : Can anyone help me write the stlSql statement to the log file so I can see the exact record that the script is trying to insert into the database
    : : I am running Delphi Version 3
    : : Thank you very much
    : : joe
    : The TStrings object has a Text property, which holds the complete text in all the lines. The write statement should read:
    : [code]
    : Writeln(mfilLog,' '+stlSql.Text);
    : [/code]
    : Also beware that the log will increase with each added line. To remove the line endings from the sql statement, use the StringReplace() function.
    :

It Worked, Thank you very very much