DataBase(Access) coding and VB.NET

Hi there.

I am going to try and explain this as best I can so please bear with me here.
I am looking at creating a database that stores information that a user enters into a programme. I am currently using txt files but they are way to slow and very cumbersome.
Now, the problem is I have no idea how to do this. It needs to be done with Access(Jet 4.0) and not SQL as SQL would be far to powerful for what this requires.
As a quick example this is basically what the programme would be doing. A user inputs info into 4 txtboxes; 1st his name; 2nd his surname; 3rd his phone number; 4th his address. Now this is the info I want stored in a simple database. Also, dates at which the user attends certain meetings will also need to be added from time to time. Obviously, this info will also need to be displayed including all the dates that he attended meetings.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. If it is to combersome to reply here my email is graham_watt1@hotmail.co.uk.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• : Hi there.
    :
    : I am going to try and explain this as best I can so please bear with me here.
    : I am looking at creating a database that stores information that a user enters into a programme. I am currently using txt files but they are way to slow and very cumbersome.
    : Now, the problem is I have no idea how to do this. It needs to be done with Access(Jet 4.0) and not SQL as SQL would be far to powerful for what this requires.
    : As a quick example this is basically what the programme would be doing. A user inputs info into 4 txtboxes; 1st his name; 2nd his surname; 3rd his phone number; 4th his address. Now this is the info I want stored in a simple database. Also, dates at which the user attends certain meetings will also need to be added from time to time. Obviously, this info will also need to be displayed including all the dates that he attended meetings.
    :
    : Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. If it is to combersome to reply here my email is graham_watt1@hotmail.co.uk.
    :
    : Thank you in advance for any help.
    :
    Questions first!!! What version of VB are you using 2003 / 2005 or what. Next you will have to create two tables one with name etc. The second table would be the one for the dates that according you could have many entries depending how meeting friendly a person is one person may have attend on one meeting while another may have attended 30 meeting is same time frame of lets say a month. You would have to include a uniqe field used to link the dates to the name address tele table. reply to these and we can state the process.

• : Questions first!!! What version of VB are you using 2003 / 2005 or what. Next you will have to create two tables one with name etc. The second table would be the one for the dates that according you could have many entries depending how meeting friendly a person is one person may have attend on one meeting while another may have attended 30 meeting is same time frame of lets say a month. You would have to include a uniqe field used to link the dates to the name address tele table. reply to these and we can state the process.

Firstly, thank you for your quick reply.
    Now, I am using VB.NET 2003. Creating two seperate tables for each person wont be a problem, I dont tihnk anyway.
    As for the dates of the meetings attended, I was thinking that the user would be able to select a person and then add dates of meetings that they attended that way. Was thinking that that would be the easiest.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks again.

• [b][red]This message was edited by jbassmanp at 2006-4-30 20:15:41[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Questions first!!! What version of VB are you using 2003 / 2005 or what. Next you will have to create two tables one with name etc. The second table would be the one for the dates that according you could have many entries depending how meeting friendly a person is one person may have attend on one meeting while another may have attended 30 meeting is same time frame of lets say a month. You would have to include a uniqe field used to link the dates to the name address tele table. reply to these and we can state the process.
    :
    :
    : Firstly, thank you for your quick reply.
    : Now, I am using VB.NET 2003. Creating two seperate tables for each person wont be a problem, I dont tihnk anyway.
    : As for the dates of the meetings attended, I was thinking that the user would be able to select a person and then add dates of meetings that they attended that way. Was thinking that that would be the easiest.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    : Thanks again.
    :
    :
    Ok first in Acces create DB called what ever you like (Contacts, Meetings etc your choice - I will call it Persons for this) the fields should be FirstName - Text - 13 Chars in length, LastName - Text - 15 Chars in length, Address - Text - 25 Chars in length, PhoneNo (how ever your system is set up) Text and what ever length needed. By the way the lengths are up to you period I use those 99 % of the time, for good measure add a field called P_ID, autonumber and primary index .
    Then create another table in it will be M_date (for meeting date)- Date field, M_PhoneNo - 13, and an autonumber field ie (M_ID) -
    You can use the phone number as and index to the "Persons" to the "Meeting" Table. both phoneno fields should be index no dups for the Person and dups ok for the Meeting. Create relationship between the 2 tables with the Meeting as child using the phonenos and you are ready. In VB create dataform with Person as primary data on screen with Meetings as grid VB will do this for you. This will have to be tweaked but the basics are here.

• [b][red]This message was edited by Murod at 2006-5-1 10:6:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : Ok first in Acces create DB called what ever you like (Contacts, Meetings etc your choice - I will call it Persons for this) the fields should be FirstName - Text - 13 Chars in length, LastName - Text - 15 Chars in length, Address - Text - 25 Chars in length, PhoneNo (how ever your system is set up) Text and what ever length needed. By the way the lengths are up to you period I use those 99 % of the time, for good measure add a field called P_ID, autonumber and primary index .
    : Then create another table in it will be M_date (for meeting date)- Date field, M_PhoneNo - 13, and an autonumber field ie (M_ID) -
    : You can use the phone number as and index to the "Persons" to the "Meeting" Table. both phoneno fields should be index no dups for the Person and dups ok for the Meeting. Create relationship between the 2 tables with the Meeting as child using the phonenos and you are ready. In VB create dataform with Person as primary data on screen with Meetings as grid VB will do this for you. This will have to be tweaked but the basics are here.

Great Stuff!!! Thank you very much for you help.
    There are just a few more things I need help with, if you dont mind?
    I have created the DB and everything and set it all up as you suggested. Now I want the user to add People to the Database. The way that this will be done is that the user will input the info(Name, Phone No. etc...) into txtboxes which will then be saved in the various fields in the DataBase. How would I go about doing this? I know I am asking a lot here but I have no experience with Databases at all.
    Any help will be great.

Thanks

• [b][red]This message was edited by jbassmanp at 2006-5-1 10:30:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Murod at 2006-5-1 10:6:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Ok first in Acces create DB called what ever you like (Contacts, Meetings etc your choice - I will call it Persons for this) the fields should be FirstName - Text - 13 Chars in length, LastName - Text - 15 Chars in length, Address - Text - 25 Chars in length, PhoneNo (how ever your system is set up) Text and what ever length needed. By the way the lengths are up to you period I use those 99 % of the time, for good measure add a field called P_ID, autonumber and primary index .
    : : Then create another table in it will be M_date (for meeting date)- Date field, M_PhoneNo - 13, and an autonumber field ie (M_ID) -
    : : You can use the phone number as and index to the "Persons" to the "Meeting" Table. both phoneno fields should be index no dups for the Person and dups ok for the Meeting. Create relationship between the 2 tables with the Meeting as child using the phonenos and you are ready. In VB create dataform with Person as primary data on screen with Meetings as grid VB will do this for you. This will have to be tweaked but the basics are here.
    :
    :
    : Great Stuff!!! Thank you very much for you help.
    : There are just a few more things I need help with, if you dont mind?
    : I have created the DB and everything and set it all up as you suggested. Now I want the user to add People to the Database. The way that this will be done is that the user will input the info(Name, Phone No. etc...) into txtboxes which will then be saved in the various fields in the DataBase. How would I go about doing this? I know I am asking a lot here but I have no experience with Databases at all.
    : Any help will be great.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    :
    Yes i know that there is a lot of stuff left, you add users by pressing the add button and if satisfied with your entries you press the update or save button. U R Done. BTW in 2003 you get a load button which loads the file into app memory, ready to use. You can copy this code/info into the formload sub so that this is done on loading the app. 2005 is a much easier product but 2003 is good. Make sure the phone number is never left blank and maybe you should get a good book to help you with understanding the basics of database programming. There are some really good ones out there. How long have u been working with VB2003? - I worked with it for a year before moving to VB2005 five months ago. What helped me was the fact that I was a COBOL, dBase, Clipper, PACE, Basic, and had some C experence under by belt. This forum was a great help (just reading through the threads will give you ideas about things that may come up later in your endeavers) - Hope I'ved helped you I did drop a line to at graham_watt1@hotmail.co.uk. I hope that was correct addy....

good programming