sound card device number

I have a SoundBlaster card which is audio device #0. If I add a second sound card, it becomes audio device #1. Does anyone know how to swap the audio device IDs of the soundcards so that the second one installed becomes audio device #0? (Short of uninstalling both of them and reinstalling in reverse order.)

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : I have a SoundBlaster card which is audio device #0. If I add a second sound card, it becomes audio device #1. Does anyone know how to swap the audio device IDs of the soundcards so that the second one installed becomes audio device #0? (Short of uninstalling both of them and reinstalling in reverse order.)
    :
    You would probably have to edit the registry in some place or another, but doing that with Windows booted could be suicide. If you HAD to swap the numbers, I'd install them in reverse-order.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• [b][red]This message was edited by katman at 2006-3-12 14:3:30[/red][/b][hr]
    Thanks for your reply. I agree that the simplest strategy is to remove the card and reinstall. Maybe a cleansweep would help too. I'm not sure where the audio device resides in the Registry anyway, and changing that entry might not work, so I wouldn't advise him to go that route. From the viewpoint of having written programs that access SoundBlaster cards and mixers, etc., I'm just curious as to how the card ended up as device #2 in the first place. And it would be interesting to see if a reinstall fixes it.

: You would probably have to edit the registry in some place or another, but doing that with Windows booted could be suicide. If you HAD to swap the numbers, I'd install them in reverse-order.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :