overlay in tc++3

well
i had an error caused by insufficient code size.
i tryed doing option|application and there setting the program to overlay and i still got that error.
well, how do i use it?
how do i set functions as overlay use or to load a unit as overlay?
i'll be happy to recieve some examples too.

i have to use tc++3 for dos, so dont suggest me please to use visual c++ for windows.

thank you
dolev

Comments

• : well
    : i had an error caused by insufficient code size.
    : i tryed doing option|application and there setting the program to overlay and i still got that error.
    : well, how do i use it?
    : how do i set functions as overlay use or to load a unit as overlay?
    : i'll be happy to recieve some examples too.
    :
    : i have to use tc++3 for dos, so dont suggest me please to use visual c++ for windows.
    :
    :
    : thank you
    : dolev
    :
    [blue]Did you use LARGE memory model?[/blue]
  • : : well
    : : i had an error caused by insufficient code size.
    : : i tryed doing option|application and there setting the program to overlay and i still got that error.
    : : well, how do i use it?
    : : how do i set functions as overlay use or to load a unit as overlay?
    : : i'll be happy to recieve some examples too.
    : :
    : : i have to use tc++3 for dos, so dont suggest me please to use visual c++ for windows.
    : : thank you
    : : dolev
    : [blue]Did you use LARGE memory model?[/blue]
    :

i used the huge one

• : : : well
    : : : i had an error caused by insufficient code size.
    : : : i tryed doing option|application and there setting the program to overlay and i still got that error.
    : : : well, how do i use it?
    : : : how do i set functions as overlay use or to load a unit as overlay?
    : : : i'll be happy to recieve some examples too.
    : : :
    : : : i have to use tc++3 for dos, so dont suggest me please to use visual c++ for windows.
    : : : thank you
    : : : dolev
    : : [blue]Did you use LARGE memory model?[/blue]
    :
    : i used the huge one
    :
    :

[green]
    Could you post your code please?
    [/green]

• : [green]
    : Could you post your code please?
    : [/green]
    :
    :

the thing is that my code is too lardge to be posted and too lardge for use of the code segment.
    i found theres an option to use overlay that actualy leave some free space in your segments that can be used to load other code parts into it and that way to do not be limited to one segment.

so i wish to learn to use overlay and not to specificly fix any problem i got. - i might be able to do it later once i recieve some help from this forum to understand some of the overlay basics.

thanks

dolev
  • [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2006-1-31 21:51:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : i found theres an option to use overlay that actualy leave some free space in your segments that can be used to load other code parts into it and that way to do not be limited to one segment.

[blue]I do not understand.
    In LARGE or HUGE models the code is not limited to one segment - it may span a few segments. When you compile your EXE file - what's its size?

Also, in my TC 3.1 when I select "Options -> Application" from a menu - there is an 'Overlay' button there which should produce the overlaid EXE file. Did you try this one?
    [/blue]