Networking Problem

I know this posing might be a little of topic, but really need some help. My dad and I live within walking distance of one another and he has recently installed DSL. I got a tech friend of mine to install two wireless linksys boxes one at both his and my house. I know have free wireless DSL that work, but for whatever reason, I am unable to share files. When I go to "My Network Places" and then to "View Workgroup Computers" I can see both his and my computers on the screen represented by an icon. But when I try and access the computer opposite of the house I am at, I get this following message.
"
\Garrett-blobloblo is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found>
"
And I have turned on the whole C drive for file sharing. Before I started messing with thing trying to figure this thing out myself, that error did not appear, instead it was a dialog box wanting a password. The problem is, is that neither me nor my dad know the passwords to our computers in that sense. I would really appreciate some help, thanks all.