tell me what might happen

I have a WIN 98 second edition at home. I was experimenting with text files. There was a file names [b]word.txt[/b]. Tried renaming the file to [b]word.ark[/b].

[b].ark[/b]is someunkown file extension, I guess. Could not do it successfully in windows. So I tried to rename it from the command prompt and it worked fine. But I could still read the contents of the file in notepad? I don't know how it is posible so someone can answer this for me first.

What will happen if I take this [b]word.ark[/b] file to another system with the same os and tried opening it from the notpad over there? Will it work?

Comments

• : I have a WIN 98 second edition at home. I was experimenting with text files. There was a file names [b]word.txt[/b]. Tried renaming the file to [b]word.ark[/b].
    :
    : [b].ark[/b]is someunkown file extension, I guess. Could not do it successfully in windows. So I tried to rename it from the command prompt and it worked fine. But I could still read the contents of the file in notepad? I don't know how it is posible so someone can answer this for me first.
    :
    : What will happen if I take this [b]word.ark[/b] file to another system with the same os and tried opening it from the notpad over there? Will it work?
    :
    Extensions is only for the user to remember wich file type it is, you could name your file word.bmp, and then open it with notepad and it will still be the same.

Happy coding wishes
    the one and only
    [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]

• : : I have a WIN 98 second edition at home. I was experimenting with text files. There was a file names [b]word.txt[/b]. Tried renaming the file to [b]word.ark[/b].
    : :
    : : [b].ark[/b]is someunkown file extension, I guess. Could not do it successfully in windows. So I tried to rename it from the command prompt and it worked fine. But I could still read the contents of the file in notepad? I don't know how it is posible so someone can answer this for me first.
    : : What will happen if I take this [b]word.ark[/b] file to another system with the same os and tried opening it from the notpad over there? Will it work?
    : Extensions is only for the user to remember wich file type it is, you could name your file word.bmp, and then open it with notepad and it will still be the same.
    :
    : Happy coding wishes
    : the one and only
    : [b]Niklas Ulvinge[/b] [white]aka [b]IDK[/b][/white]
    :
    :
    So the answer is yes.

[blue]Gaashius[/blue]