Problems installing Mandrakelinux 10.1

Hello.

I tried to install Mandrakelinux 10.1 CD that came with a book. I have enough space on my system (I've Windows and installed Linux onto the free space of the Windows partition). Everything seemed to run fine. Then, when done and rebooted, it showed me the options for which OS to start. Windows was running fine, but there was just a black screen on running Linux, not even configuration checks or anything, just a dead black screen. Then I erased my whole hard disk, to leave space only for the Linux, but the same thing happened, e.d. just a still black screen on starting linux. I also tried to install the text version also with no success either. Please, help! :(

Comments

• : Hello.
    :
    : I tried to install Mandrakelinux 10.1 CD that came with a book. I have enough space on my system (I've Windows and installed Linux onto the free space of the Windows partition). Everything seemed to run fine. Then, when done and rebooted, it showed me the options for which OS to start. Windows was running fine, but there was just a black screen on running Linux, not even configuration checks or anything, just a dead black screen. Then I erased my whole hard disk, to leave space only for the Linux, but the same thing happened, e.d. just a still black screen on starting linux. I also tried to install the text version also with no success either. Please, help! :(
    :
    :

OK, from what I understand here is that you have a book that came with Mandrake Linux 10.1 OS install. The bootloader that I assume was installed was lilo because I think mandrake likes that bootloader. By the way if you didnt know already Mandrake is now known as Mandriva. Their homepage is http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/. What I suggest to you is go to the homepage and then go to their documentation page and read about it. Your book probably has similar text to just get a feel for Linux. Possibly the problem is due to your hardware? I dont know. I would need to know if your using an integrated video card or one that uses PCI/AGP/PCI Express.

When you were installing Mandrake were you seeing the install procedure? And now when you choose Linux from the bootloader it goes directly to a blank screen? No Verbose mode or anything? Remembering back when I used Mandrake I think F2 was used in order to switch to verbose mode. Verbose mode is to see the text when loading into to Linux. The GUI mode is when you dont see any text.

--George

<------------------------------------------>

Reach me at:

AIM IM: kc2keo
    EMAIL: kc2keo@gmail.com

Pri. Homepage: http://MouyiosMachine.hopto.org:8080