Re: Beginner programmer dosn't know where to start

To anyone out there

My info will tell you that I'm a 25 year old zimbabwean, married with one kid. I'm currently emmigrating to South Africa and hope to pursue programming as a career.

Here's my problem - WHERE DO I START!!!??? There are so many languages out there I often am quite confused as to where to go. Personally I have done very basic work in Visual basic (relating to access). If I could start there I would like to. Also, what route or training materials would you recommend for me to start on and work with?

There are so many 'theories' out there, that I don't know what is actual. For example: is Visual basic still relevant or are businesses working with a different language? I need to marketable and don't want to waste my time.

If you reply thanks alot! Will help a great deal.

Cheers from Zimbabwe, Africa.
Life has a habit of throwing curve balls. You can either duck or put your glove in the way... You decide :o)

Comments

• : To anyone out there
    :
    : My info will tell you that I'm a 25 year old zimbabwean, married with one kid. I'm currently emmigrating to South Africa and hope to pursue programming as a career.
    :
    : Here's my problem - WHERE DO I START!!!??? There are so many languages out there I often am quite confused as to where to go. Personally I have done very basic work in Visual basic (relating to access). If I could start there I would like to. Also, what route or training materials would you recommend for me to start on and work with?
    :
    : There are so many 'theories' out there, that I don't know what is actual. For example: is Visual basic still relevant or are businesses working with a different language? I need to marketable and don't want to waste my time.
    :
    : If you reply thanks alot! Will help a great deal.
    :
    : Cheers from Zimbabwe, Africa.
    : Life has a habit of throwing curve balls. You can either duck or put your glove in the way... You decide :o)
    :

Hi,
    the "language" you'll start with is not the most important thing.
    There are two different things:
    -Can programm something..
    -Know some programming language..

You should point at the first thing and don't care about the language. When you learn how to thing, how to write algorithms in one language, you'll be able to learn how to code it in another in one or two days..

For basics is good VB and pascal (I personnaly hate it, but..). But if you want to be good at it, you'll need object oriented programming and that's the point where VB and pascal crashes. You'll need to use VB.NET (I suggest you this one), object pascal (in delphi) or Java (whitch I personally hate, again :) ), or C#, C++ (do not do this with C++, it's too complicated beauseof historical reasons).

If I can choose how to learn programming again, I would choose VB.NET.
    First of all, read some "step by step" book because it will show you basics, concepts, things about memory, cycles and mechanisms, try to write several apps (you can pass this phase in VB also) and then switch to object oriented aspects of it (VB.NET).

When you'll be able to write your app in VB.NET, you'll be able to learn how to code it in C# or Java in one or two days.. (Or 3 hours :) )

Hope this helps..
    Good luck!

[blue][b][italic][size=4]P[/size]avlin [size=4]II[/italic][/size][/b][/blue]

[purple]Don't take life too seriously anyway you won't escape alive from it![/purple]

• Hey PavlinII

Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply. Really is helpful, it seems you're the first person that may know what is 'potting' if you get my drift. If you don't mind me bugging you wanted to ask more questions.

You said that it is a good idea to focus on programming something. Is Microsoft Access a good start?

And then language you suggest VB and then further development to VB.net (just varifying I've got the right idea). Please confirm that this is correct.

Finally - what reading material on the basics do you know of? This would help me in locating it on the web locally (e.g. book name, material name, course work title etc.).

Well thanks again much appreciated. By the way where are you working and what do you do? Would be nice to know how you got into programming.

Keep well

Jason
  • : Hey PavlinII
    :
    : Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply. Really is helpful, it seems you're the first person that may know what is 'potting' if you get my drift. If you don't mind me bugging you wanted to ask more questions.
    :
    : You said that it is a good idea to focus on programming something. Is Microsoft Access a good start?
    ----------------
    NO. MS access is good when you want to make small database application (but really very small). It has a lot of internal problems and other unpleasant things (like unexpected behaviour, nonstandard fixes and so on..) If you learn this "awry" app to learn programming, you'll waste your time..
    If you would like to develop small database applications in really fast way, it is useful! But not for LEARNing..

:
    : And then language you suggest VB and then further development to VB.net (just varifying I've got the right idea). Please confirm that this is correct.
    -----------
    If you can, start with VB.NET now!.. You can do simple things there as in any other language..

: Finally - what reading material on the basics do you know of? This would help me in locating it on the web locally (e.g. book name, material name, course work title etc.).
    ---------
    I've asked google:
    This title looks good:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000029/ref=pd_sim_b_6/102-1155525-9935320?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

This looks like little more advanced, but it could be simillar like the first one.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735613745/102-1155525-9935320?v=glance

AND!!
    http://print.google.com/print?q=visual+basic+step+by+step&oi=print
    http://print.google.com/print?ie=UTF-8&q=vb.net+step+by+step
    --free source of knowledge.

:
    : Well thanks again much appreciated. By the way where are you working and what do you do? Would be nice to know how you got into programming.
    ---------
    Take a look into my profile and skills :) But I've learn it myself..

:
    : Keep well
    :
    : Jason
    :

[blue][b][italic][size=4]P[/size]avlin [size=4]II[/italic][/size][/b][/blue]

[purple]Don't take life too seriously anyway you won't escape alive from it![/purple]