line detection using Infra red

i want to detect line using infra red for the robot.Line is of white olor and background is blue. if anyone has idea plz help me.

Comments

• hi .
    you can use a phototransistor and an infrared diode to do the detection.
    or else use a photoreflector (it is just direct translation from french,so i am sorry).or else contact me for a schematic that works well.

• : i want to detect line using infra red for the robot.Line is of white olor and background is blue. if anyone has idea plz help me.
    :

You can mount one IR LED and one Phototransistor facing the floor. Power the IR LED by 5V 20mA current source and keep the phototransistor collector current low using 47k to 100k range resistor. Cover the Phototransistor from sides such that no direct light from LED reaches it. Keep this assembly 1cm above ground. Make sure that both LED and Phototransistor are pointing to one point.

Now the Phototransistor signal to be level compared using LM339 comparator. This will remove noise effect and will generate go / no-go (1/0) levels for sensing for white and blue surfaces. You may need 10k pull up resistor for LM339 outputs and stable reference voltage for inputs. Power supply need to be noise free and with ripple filter.

Professor Dr. Shyam, India