Computer Adventure

IF any of you wish to try and help me with this problem It could become quite an adventure. (But its a long story so bear with me.)

Ever sence I bought it I have had a 1987 packard bell. It still runs on MS-DOS with no knowalge of even the earlyest versions of windows. I had been writing programs on this computer years ago and would know like to get some of them off. ok heres the problem The computer only has a 5.25 inch disk drive. When I tried to put a 3.5 inch drive in IT whent all crazy on me and nearly exploded. so I took the drive out and it was fine. I don't want to open it again because it is old and could die at any second.

Now I have been taking broken computers off of treelawns to build my own for some time now. way back I got one running on win 98 that I didn't realy want anyway. So I started exparementing with it. From A libray I got a book that came with disks for installing a red hat linux os, seeing As I had A computer I didn't care about I tried to install the red hat linux os on it. I got the os on but It failed to work nomatter what I did so I took out the parts of the comp put there parts in many other creations and left the hard drive in my basment to rot. (don't worry this part of the story will be relevant in time)

Later I found a computer that had a 5.25 inch floppy drive in it. The computer didn't work but the drive did, so I started on making a comp that could convert my 5.25 inch disks to 3.5 inch disks. I built it, but it failed to work with every hard drive I tried to give it but two. The first one was a windows 95 one, that wroked, but was realy slow to boot. I treid to get files of the one 5.25" disk but the hard drive couldn't take the files on it. IT rejected them. (I don't know why) so I treid to send the files directly from one disk to the other. But the computer seemed to think that both the drives were the same thing. so I couldn't go drive to drive, without first storing the files on the hard drive the pluging in the other drive and puting them out. but As I said before if I treid to put any files on the computer then the hard drive rejected them. The other hard drive that worked was the linux one. But the os never booted right. So I am now trying to get any other os on that drive.

This is where I need help
A. the linux drive won't let me re-install the os it had before, it won't boot from floppy or cd so I can't install it.

B. another thing I could try is to get the win-95 hard drive to realize that the two dirves (the 5.25 and 3.5) are different things.

C. I could find out a way to make the computer take other hard drives.

I myself can't firgur out how to do any of these things, but still want to get files off of my 1987 comp. IF any of you that actually read all this have any suggestions please let me know

Comments

• : I myself can't firgur out how to do any of these things, but still want to get files off of my 1987 comp. IF any of you that actually read all this have any suggestions please let me know

If your 1987 computer has a serial or parallel port, you can transfer files to another machine using software such as LapLink.

-jeff!
  • : : I myself can't firgur out how to do any of these things, but still want to get files off of my 1987 comp. IF any of you that actually read all this have any suggestions please let me know
    :
    : If your 1987 computer has a serial or parallel port, you can transfer files to another machine using software such as LapLink.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    Yes I do have a serial port, could you give me some more info on this LapLink thing (because i've never heard of it before). oh and if you give me the info about your 1987 comp I might be able to think of somthing.
  • : Yes I do have a serial port, could you give me some more info on this LapLink thing (because i've never heard of it before). oh and if you give me the info about your 1987 comp I might be able to think of somthing.

This looks like it's got what you'll need: (and it's free!)
    http://www.briggsoft.com/fmdos.htm

You will still need to buy or create your own NULL modem cable, but they are easy to wire up or perhaps purchase at a used computer store.
    You can find wiring diagrams online if your a do it yourselfer.

-jeff!

• : : Yes I do have a serial port, could you give me some more info on this LapLink thing (because i've never heard of it before). oh and if you give me the info about your 1987 comp I might be able to think of somthing.
    :
    : This looks like it's got what you'll need: (and it's free!)
    : http://www.briggsoft.com/fmdos.htm
    :
    : You will still need to buy or create your own NULL modem cable, but they are easy to wire up or perhaps purchase at a used computer store.
    : You can find wiring diagrams online if your a do it yourselfer.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    :
    Thanks! i'll check it out, you don't know how much tuble you'll jyst have saved me if this works.

also my computer wacked out on me when I tried to give it a 3.5 inch drive, but not all old comps do, If you want to risk opening yours, it might be worth a shot.

Thanks again
    [hr]
    [b][italic][red]-Margalo ;-)