newbie in linux

hey i am 15 yrs old and am instrested to be a part of the open source community,,,i would like to know the pre-requisites,languages,what to learn etc...m in the open environment..any suggestion are welcome.....thanx!!

Comments

• There are no real prerequisites for working with Linux/open source. However I would like to say that you should be prepared to encounter some errors at some point with linux - nothing is perfect - don't expect linux to be some sort of holy grail or something.

Most of the linux software out there is programmed in C or C++. However if you have not done any programming before then I would not suggest starting with these languages.

Instead I would suggest using Python - it is very easy to use even for a beginner, but it contains enough advanced features for a more experienced programmer going for a while. It is also very portable which is nice if you have to work with Windows/Mac systems once in a while. Another option to consider is the Ruby programming language.

Both can be found at python.org and ruby-lang.org

If you don't have a copy of linux yet and want to work with opensource, then get it - see my other post on this board to CyGuy, which outlines some of the advice that you will need to install/get it.

If you want to ask more specific questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Hope this helps,

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"