Want to start Linux Programming

Hello Guys,

I want to start Linux Programming. I have knowledge of OOP. How can I start Linux Programming.

Which Languages, editors, IDE are used for linux programming.

If you can suggest me an IDE or editor and also a book, that will help me a lot.

And I am also looking for a server that allows me SSH to practice unix commands.

Thank you
Diptesh

Comments

• Hello Diptesh,

First you will need to decide on the language. Linux programming has wider meaning. Buy a book from wrox publications "Beginning Linux Programming". It should give you a good insight into the subject.

IDE: use vi, emacs, kate, etc...
    SSH: go googling

rgds
    Manohar

: Hello Guys,
    :
    : I want to start Linux Programming. I have knowledge of OOP. How can I start Linux Programming.
    :
    : Which Languages, editors, IDE are used for linux programming.
    :
    : If you can suggest me an IDE or editor and also a book, that will help me a lot.
    :
    : And I am also looking for a server that allows me SSH to practice unix commands.
    :
    : Thank you
    : Diptesh
    :

• If you're going to be using a *nix system on a regular basis, it's much easier to install a system on your own computer instead of ssh'ing into another machine (ssh will only give you a shell so it will be difficult if you want to put any GUI interfaces to your programs.)

Many linux distros these days allow you to resize existing partions 'on the fly' so you can easily install alongside windows. Remember to check out the BSD's too!

You can also get linux distros which run from the CD (knoppix - knoppix.org amongst others), so you don't even have to install if you don't want to - just save all settings to a USB stick or similar.

Hope this helps,

ITA

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• This really helped me a lot.

thank you for your help

regards
    diptesh
  • : Hello Guys,
    :
    : I want to start Linux Programming. I have knowledge of OOP. How can I start Linux Programming.
    :
    : Which Languages, editors, IDE are used for linux programming.
    :
    : If you can suggest me an IDE or editor and also a book, that will help me a lot.
    :
    : And I am also looking for a server that allows me SSH to practice unix commands.
    :
    : Thank you
    : islam
    :