Stdin, stdout, stderr...

[green]Need some help, I'm trying to import the c function fgets() to assembly and I am having problems passing the 3rd parameter '[b]FILE[/b] [italic]stream[/italic]'. I want to pass [b]'stdin'[/b] so I can get input from the keyboard. I looked at the stdio.h and [b]FILE[/b] is defined as a structure of [b]_iob[/b] and [b]_iob[/b] is defined as an array of structures somewhere in some dll of which I don't know. [b]stdin[/b] is predefined as [b]_iob[0][/b] of that structure array. Any ideas how I would pass [b]stdin[/b] to my third parameter via assembly? Anyone privy to the inards of the c language that can help? Thanks[/green]

Comments

• : [green]Need some help, I'm trying to import the c function fgets() to assembly and I am having problems passing the 3rd parameter '[b]FILE[/b] [italic]stream[/italic]'. I want to pass [b]'stdin'[/b] so I can get input from the keyboard. I looked at the stdio.h and [b]FILE[/b] is defined as a structure of [b]_iob[/b] and [b]_iob[/b] is defined as an array of structures somewhere in some dll of which I don't know. [b]stdin[/b] is predefined as [b]_iob[0][/b] of that structure array. Any ideas how I would pass [b]stdin[/b] to my third parameter via assembly? Anyone privy to the inards of the c language that can help? Thanks[/green]
    :
    :

file handles for stdin, stdout and stderr are always 0, 1 and 2 respectively.

[code]
    /* FILENO.C: This program uses _fileno to obtain
    * the file handle for some standard C streams.
    */

#include

void main( void )
    {
    printf( "The file handle for stdin is %d
    ", _fileno( stdin ) );
    printf( "The file handle for stdout is %d
    ", _fileno( stdout ) );
    printf( "The file handle for stderr is %d
    ", _fileno( stderr ) );
    }

Output

The file handle for stdin is 0
    The file handle for stdout is 1
    The file handle for stderr is 2
    [/code]

The method used to initialize _iob will be different for each compiler, but this is from VC++ 6.0 _file.c startup code
    [code]
    /*
    * Buffer for stdin.
    */

char _bufin[BUFSIZ];

/*
    * FILE descriptors; preset for stdin/out/err (note that the __tmpnum field
    * is not initialized)
    */

FILE _iob[ _NSTREAM_ ] = {

/* _ptr, _cnt, _base, _flag, _file, _charbuf, _bufsiz */

/* stdin (_iob[0]) */

{ _bufin, 0, _bufin, _IOREAD | _IOYOURBUF, 0, 0, BUFSIZ },

/* stdout (_iob[1]) */

{ NULL, 0, NULL, _IOWRT, 1, 0, 0 },

/* stderr (_iob[3]) */

{ NULL, 0, NULL, _IOWRT, 2, 0, 0 },

};

[/code]

• : : [green]Need some help, I'm trying to import the c function fgets() to assembly and I am having problems passing the 3rd parameter '[b]FILE[/b] [italic]stream[/italic]'. I want to pass [b]'stdin'[/b] so I can get input from the keyboard. I looked at the stdio.h and [b]FILE[/b] is defined as a structure of [b]_iob[/b] and [b]_iob[/b] is defined as an array of structures somewhere in some dll of which I don't know. [b]stdin[/b] is predefined as [b]_iob[0][/b] of that structure array. Any ideas how I would pass [b]stdin[/b] to my third parameter via assembly? Anyone privy to the inards of the c language that can help? Thanks[/green]
    : :
    : :
    :
    : file handles for stdin, stdout and stderr are always 0, 1 and 2 respectively.
    :
    : [code]
    : /* FILENO.C: This program uses _fileno to obtain
    : * the file handle for some standard C streams.
    : */
    :
    : #include
    :
    : void main( void )
    : {
    : printf( "The file handle for stdin is %d
    ", _fileno( stdin ) );
    : printf( "The file handle for stdout is %d
    ", _fileno( stdout ) );
    : printf( "The file handle for stderr is %d
    ", _fileno( stderr ) );
    : }
    :
    :
    : Output
    :
    : The file handle for stdin is 0
    : The file handle for stdout is 1
    : The file handle for stderr is 2
    : [/code]
    :
    : The method used to initialize _iob will be different for each compiler, but this is from VC++ 6.0 _file.c startup code
    : [code]
    : /*
    : * Buffer for stdin.
    :
    : char _bufin[BUFSIZ];
    :
    :
    : /*
    : * FILE descriptors; preset for stdin/out/err (note that the __tmpnum field
    : * is not initialized)
    :
    : FILE _iob[ _NSTREAM_ ] = {
    :
    : /* _ptr, _cnt, _base, _flag, _file, _charbuf, _bufsiz */
    :
    : /* stdin (_iob[0]) */
    :
    : { _bufin, 0, _bufin, _IOREAD | _IOYOURBUF, 0, 0, BUFSIZ },
    :
    : /* stdout (_iob[1]) */
    :
    : { NULL, 0, NULL, _IOWRT, 1, 0, 0 },
    :
    : /* stderr (_iob[3]) */
    :
    : { NULL, 0, NULL, _IOWRT, 2, 0, 0 },
    :
    : };
    :
    : [/code]

[green]
    Thanks man but I'm still stuck and the program keeps crashing at that point. I'll have to look into it further I guess. :-(
    [/green]