using SANE

I've decided that my application needs to interface with a scanner. I've done a little searching and I've found the SANE API. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any more about it than the web page provides (it's not very informative) and if there are any tutorials available.

Many thanks,

ITA

ps - this is also posted to the linux programming board
"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

Comments

• : I've decided that my application needs to interface with a scanner. I've done a little searching and I've found the SANE API. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any more about it than the web page provides (it's not very informative) and if there are any tutorials available.
    :
    : Many thanks,
    :
    : ITA
    :
    : ps - this is also posted to the linux programming board
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :

[green]
    Which site are you referring to? The one I found had documented functions and data types.

http://www.sane-project.org/

Looks like it's all there too me that is.
    [/green]

• : I've decided that my application needs to interface with a scanner. I've done a little searching and I've found the SANE API. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any more about it than the web page provides (it's not very informative) and if there are any tutorials available.
    :
    : Many thanks,
    :
    : ITA
    :
    : ps - this is also posted to the linux programming board
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :

What scanner do you want to use? There are all different. The ones I worked with from AccuSort interface through the serial port.
    http://www.accusort.com/

There there are several brands of wireless computers that are also scanners, such as from Symbol and Intermec. They too have different interface.

• : What scanner do you want to use? There are all different.

What I wanted to do was to have some sort of generic interface (which I thought the SANE API would provide) so that I could have support for a lot of scanners out there. All my application would do is communicate through the generic interface to get the images from the scanner. The program will scan sheet music which can then be manipulated inside the program.

Many thanks,

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• :[green]
    : http://www.sane-project.org/
    :
    : Looks like it's all there too me that is.
    : [/green]

I was referring to that one (sane-project.org). Although it gives the functions, there are no 'proper' working examples which I can work from to try and write a solution.

I've probably just skim read the site - if you find any [b]tutorials[/b] let me know (the one I found on that site seemed a bit out of date). The tutorials can be from anywhere, they don't have to be on that site.

Many thanks,

ITA