Pascal????

What are the good things about pascal today? Can someone tell me?

Comments

• : What are the good things about pascal today? Can someone tell me?
    :
    Just to name a few:

- Good solid optimizing compiler
    - 16-bit or 32-bit platform supports
    - multi-platform support
    - easy to read
    - good debugger
    - small programs
    - little to no memory limitations
    - many demo/library source code available

• : : What are the good things about pascal today? Can someone tell me?
    : :
    : Just to name a few:
    :
    : - Good solid optimizing compiler
    : - 16-bit or 32-bit platform supports
    : - multi-platform support
    : - easy to read
    : - good debugger
    : - small programs
    : - little to no memory limitations
    : - many demo/library source code available
    :
    :
    I'm developing games : I can tell that Object Pascal (alias Delphi) is one of the best programming languages. Appending to Zibadian's opinion, I can say that Delphi is high-level in everything except only in OS programming.

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• What advantages does it have over C? I currently program in C and was actually planning to program games in C, as many do, but tell me what advantages pascal has.I probably won't stop C programming, but i'll porbably try pascal out a little more seriously.

Go ahead and speak. Call K&R losers. Don't worry, i won't bite your head off. :P
  • [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-6-13 21:53:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : What advantages does it have over C? I currently program in C and was actually planning to program games in C, as many do, but tell me what advantages pascal has.I probably won't stop C programming, but i'll porbably try pascal out a little more seriously.
    :
    : Go ahead and speak. Call K&R losers. Don't worry, i won't bite your head off. :P
    :
    The main advantage of Pascal is that it is easier to read because it relies less on symbols and more on words. Example:
    [code]
    for (i=0, i<100, i++)
    {
    }
    [/code]
    is
    [code]
    for i := 0 to 99 do
    begin
    end;
    [/code]
    As for speed and program size, the newer Pascals rival C with that. Some parts are faster in Pascal, while others are faster in C.
    The main disadvantage is that most libraries and API definitions are only documented in C. So you need to translate them every time you read a new one.
    There are several more threads on this subject on this site.

• : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2005-6-13 21:53:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : : What advantages does it have over C? I currently program in C and was actually planning to program games in C, as many do, but tell me what advantages pascal has.I probably won't stop C programming, but i'll porbably try pascal out a little more seriously.
    : : Go ahead and speak. Call K&R losers. Don't worry, i won't bite your head off. :P
    : The main advantage of Pascal is that it is easier to read because it relies less on symbols and more on words. Example:
    : [code]
    : for (i=0, i<100, i++)
    : {
    : }
    : [/code]
    : is
    : [code]
    : for i := 0 to 99 do
    : begin
    : end;
    : [/code]
    : As for speed and program size, the newer Pascals rival C with that. Some parts are faster in Pascal, while others are faster in C.
    : The main disadvantage is that most libraries and API definitions are only documented in C. So you need to translate them every time you read a new one.
    : There are several more threads on this subject on this site.
    :
    :
    Redefining some Pascal specific functions for beginner programmers are a good step for making it more optimized. Well, the main point of where to go depends on what type and what quality of games you want to develop. C++ is another good lang, but Delphi is your friend if you want "readable" and good code.

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• good is not a question...if you good in any language..just program using it!. However, for me, Pascal is still my fovourite. Easier to read, lots of source..I hardly stuck using Pascal.

Just check this :-

Language 1 :
    printf("What is your name ? ENTER after done
    ");
    scanf("%[^
    ]",ch);
    printf("Your name is %s
    ",ch);

Language 2:
    Write('What is your name ?');
    Readln(name);
    Writeln('Your name is ',name);

Any beginner would choose Language 2.. Which is Pascal !