Motherboard or RAM problem - I can't use my computer

Hi everyone.

I have 3 computers in my home. 1 of them are available for programming and it's mine. But I can't use it normally. When I turn it on, it works for a few minutes, then it freezes. When I restart it, it just gives a blank screen and does nothing. When I turn it on again after a few days, it does the same(works for a few mins then "dies"). I have 274 MB RAM in my computer and an ASUS motherboard. I tried to swap and change RAM-s but no result. At one point it wrote 'BIOS memory checksum error'. At another point it suddenly stopped when it was checking the RAM. I need to make it working properly - but how??

Thanks forwardly!

Gaashius

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

Comments

• : Hi everyone.
    :
    : I have 3 computers in my home. 1 of them are available for programming and it's mine. But I can't use it normally. When I turn it on, it works for a few minutes, then it freezes. When I restart it, it just gives a blank screen and does nothing. When I turn it on again after a few days, it does the same(works for a few mins then "dies"). I have 274 MB RAM in my computer and an ASUS motherboard. I tried to swap and change RAM-s but no result. At one point it wrote 'BIOS memory checksum error'. At another point it suddenly stopped when it was checking the RAM. I need to make it working properly - but how??

You might try going into BIOS setup and reloading default values or loading failsafe values. It's possible that you've got something in the BIOS which is overclocking or somehow slightly out of range for your computer hardware. You may also remove all the memory except 1 piece and see if that changes its behavior. Then move that stick of memory into different slots and see if that changes anything.
    Also, make sure your CPU fan is still working!

These issues can be a number of different hardware problems and are very difficult to diagnose. It very well may be your motherboard.

-jeff!
  • : : Hi everyone.
    : :
    : : I have 3 computers in my home. 1 of them are available for programming and it's mine. But I can't use it normally. When I turn it on, it works for a few minutes, then it freezes. When I restart it, it just gives a blank screen and does nothing. When I turn it on again after a few days, it does the same(works for a few mins then "dies"). I have 274 MB RAM in my computer and an ASUS motherboard. I tried to swap and change RAM-s but no result. At one point it wrote 'BIOS memory checksum error'. At another point it suddenly stopped when it was checking the RAM. I need to make it working properly - but how??
    :
    : You might try going into BIOS setup and reloading default values or loading failsafe values. It's possible that you've got something in the BIOS which is overclocking or somehow slightly out of range for your computer hardware. You may also remove all the memory except 1 piece and see if that changes its behavior. Then move that stick of memory into different slots and see if that changes anything.
    : Also, make sure your CPU fan is still working!
    :
    : These issues can be a number of different hardware problems and are very difficult to diagnose. It very well may be your motherboard.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Well my computer is worse and worse, I can't even pass to BIOS! I tried all variations of putting in the RAMs - no result :-(
    But the CPU fan is working fine.

This is the main point - the motherboard. We also thought that the motherboard has a problem(or problems), but we were really not sure in it. We will change it then, thanks for making us sure.

One more question if you don't mind - after I turn the computer on, and turn off after I wait a few mins, the Num Lock led on the keyboard is on - can you tell me why is that?

Thanks again, Jeff!

Any questions? Just ask!

• : One more question if you don't mind - after I turn the computer on, and turn off after I wait a few mins, the Num Lock led on the keyboard is on - can you tell me why is that?

Your keyboard LED is on after the computer is turned off?
    It may still be powered up in a "soft-off" state so that the machine can power up if you press a certain key combination. Your BIOS settings may have more information in the "power management" section.

Just a guess though. Kinda freaky.

-jeff!
  • : : One more question if you don't mind - after I turn the computer on, and turn off after I wait a few mins, the Num Lock led on the keyboard is on - can you tell me why is that?
    :
    : Your keyboard LED is on after the computer is turned off?
    : It may still be powered up in a "soft-off" state so that the machine can power up if you press a certain key combination. Your BIOS settings may have more information in the "power management" section.
    :
    : Just a guess though. Kinda freaky.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    I haven't set any special key combination - but I can't even reach BIOS to see if it's set up basically. Thanks anyway!

Any questions? Just ask!