Math behind computer graphics

Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.

Comments

• : Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.
    :

To do just graphics. No math. If you can add, you can do graphics. You only need math if you are interested in 3D graphics in dos mode. If you are programming for windows (correct me if I'm wrong), but all the math is taken care of by DirectX or OpenGL.

This site has lots of info on graphics and 3D:

http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/

The code is in Pascal/ASM, but the main ideas are written out and the code should be easy enough to convert to C/C++. I used the Asphixia VGA Trainers when I started out learning graphics.

Phat Nat

• You still need to know the math. You will be able to very simple and miniscule things without knowing the maths. 3d maths come into every aspect - collision detection(neither directx or opengl does it for you), Animation (neither 2 do this either), Physics Sims(games require physics and 3d interaction) neither will do this for you, Camera routines(neither have a notion of a camera). Lots more........3d maths is as important as before. You just dont need to know low level programming too much now

: : Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.
    : :
    :
    : To do just graphics. No math. If you can add, you can do graphics. You only need math if you are interested in 3D graphics in dos mode. If you are programming for windows (correct me if I'm wrong), but all the math is taken care of by DirectX or OpenGL.
    :
    : This site has lots of info on graphics and 3D:
    :
    : http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/
    :
    : The code is in Pascal/ASM, but the main ideas are written out and the code should be easy enough to convert to C/C++. I used the Asphixia VGA Trainers when I started out learning graphics.
    :
    : Phat Nat
    :
    :

• : You still need to know the math. You will be able to very simple and miniscule things without knowing the maths. 3d maths come into every aspect - collision detection(neither directx or opengl does it for you), Animation (neither 2 do this either), Physics Sims(games require physics and 3d interaction) neither will do this for you, Camera routines(neither have a notion of a camera). Lots more........3d maths is as important as before. You just dont need to know low level programming too much now
    :
    : : : Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.
    : : :
    : : To do just graphics. No math. If you can add, you can do graphics. You only need math if you are interested in 3D graphics in dos mode. If you are programming for windows (correct me if I'm wrong), but all the math is taken care of by DirectX or OpenGL.
    : : This site has lots of info on graphics and 3D:
    : : http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/
    : : The code is in Pascal/ASM, but the main ideas are written out and the code should be easy enough to convert to C/C++. I used the Asphixia VGA Trainers when I started out learning graphics.
    : : Phat Nat

Thank for clearing that up. I haven't used DirectX/OpenGL at all.

Phat Nat

• : : You still need to know the math. You will be able to very simple and miniscule things without knowing the maths. 3d maths come into every aspect - collision detection(neither directx or opengl does it for you), Animation (neither 2 do this either), Physics Sims(games require physics and 3d interaction) neither will do this for you, Camera routines(neither have a notion of a camera). Lots more........3d maths is as important as before. You just dont need to know low level programming too much now
    : : : : Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.
    : : : :
    : : : To do just graphics. No math. If you can add, you can do graphics. You only need math if you are interested in 3D graphics in dos mode. If you are programming for windows (correct me if I'm wrong), but all the math is taken care of by DirectX or OpenGL.
    : : : This site has lots of info on graphics and 3D:
    : : : http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/
    : : : The code is in Pascal/ASM, but the main ideas are written out and the code should be easy enough to convert to C/C++. I used the Asphixia VGA Trainers when I started out learning graphics.
    : : : Phat Nat
    :
    : Thank for clearing that up. I haven't used DirectX/OpenGL at all.
    :
    : Phat Nat
    :
    :
    Near all these you need expert geometry knowledge anyway.

Any questions? Just ask!

:-) [b][blue]GAASHIUS[/blue][/b] :-)

• : Hi, i'm new to computer graphics and know a little about programming languages like c and c++ and trying assembly. I would like to know what kind of math i need to learn in order to do computer graphics and point to any online information about this if you can. Any help you be welcomed.
    :

I really believe in using fixed point numbers. Not because it is always faster than floating point, but because it forces the programmer to think about what degree of accuracy is needed. In graphics, there is a finite number of pixels to put up on the screen and therefore a finite degree of accuracy necessary. Eveything is an interger with the pixel providing a reference toward what that unit of measure should be. A pixel is either on of off; it is one color or the other; the pixel is the limit of accuracy possible. Sometimes this is called the granularity of the problem.

Keeping track of what degree of accuracy is needed helps track down problems with aliasing in animation.

Stephen