!!!AUTOMATIC STARTUP!!!

How do I get my PC (IBM style computer) to automatically turn on?

I have achived this on my Mac (with great ease) but don't know where to start on a PC

Comments

• Well, you see, you simply take the on switch, rig it open, then take an old alarm clock, use the alarm as a trigger to connect a circuit (or you can do it like most people and use a Christmas lights timer), then set the time a voila. Ok, I'm assuming you want to do this with code, and there are ways, most of them involving forcing the system into a timed sleep more or less, however, I can't think of anywhere to look for source code.

• : Well, you see, you simply take the on switch, rig it open, then take an old alarm clock, use the alarm as a trigger to connect a circuit (or you can do it like most people and use a Christmas lights timer), then set the time a voila. Ok, I'm assuming you want to do this with code, and there are ways, most of them involving forcing the system into a timed sleep more or less, however, I can't think of anywhere to look for source code.
    :
    :

I don't see how this is a programming question. How can a program ever turn on the power to the computer it is running on? It doesn't make sence. You need external hardware.

There are however API functions for turn-off, reboot, log out etc.
  • : How do I get my PC (IBM style computer) to automatically turn on?
    :
    : I have achived this on my Mac (with great ease) but don't know where to start on a PC
    :

Can you post the CC++ code that enabled you to do this?
  • : : How do I get my PC (IBM style computer) to automatically turn on?
    : :
    : : I have achived this on my Mac (with great ease) but don't know where to start on a PC
    :
    : Can you post the CC++ code that enabled you to do this?
    :

I did not have to program to achive this, I merely went into controll pannells, open "Power Saver", go to the Auto Power On/Off tab and choose the time that I wanted it to startup daily, weekdayly, weekend or a specific day of each week.
    I expect this controll pannel to make mods to the area of PRam (parameter ram) that contains the time to automatically startup/shutdown
  • : : Well, you see, you simply take the on switch, rig it open, then take an old alarm clock, use the alarm as a trigger to connect a circuit (or you can do it like most people and use a Christmas lights timer), then set the time a voila. Ok, I'm assuming you want to do this with code, and there are ways, most of them involving forcing the system into a timed sleep more or less, however, I can't think of anywhere to look for source code.
    :
    :
    : I don't see how this is a programming question. How can a program ever turn on the power to the computer it is running on? It doesn't make sence. You need external hardware.
    :
    : There are however API functions for turn-off, reboot, log out etc.
    :

It can't, it simply mod's the area of PRAM that defines if and when the computer will automatically startup/shutdown

Question : When running DOS, how do I shutdown the computer? the command's : shutdown and turn off do not work!

• How do I get my PC (IBM style computer) to automatically turn on?

I have achived this on my Mac (with great ease) but don't know where to start on a PC

:Oh this is simple. Go out to your local hardware store and buy yourself The Clapper. 2 muscle movements and your computer is up and running! and yes, this is platform independent!
  • First this is not a programming issue...sad to say...other than a lesson in KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

Second, use the BIOS settings that allow you to set an alarm. Most PCs these days have them. Mine does, works fine. Where there are BIOS settings there are BIOS routines. Want to play with them programmatically? Reverse engineer the box.

Third, if you think this is sad: I didn't have a BBS or message board to ask questions on when I was about 13 and only learned what FORMAT did after trying it on my uncle's TRS-80 Model III.

...Consider yourself lucky. I used to use a RadioShack Alarm switch on my computer! LOL.

Excellence Breeds! Go Hard or Go Home.

Let Penguins rule the earth.
    Break some windows today.

• : How do I get my PC (IBM style computer) to automatically turn on?
    :
    : I have achived this on my Mac (with great ease) but don't know where
    : to start on a PC
    :
    i have a dell PC and sometimes i would like it to automatically shutdown. is there a way to do this in the setup utility area? there are more than one users on this machine.

i have tried a few softwares but they do not work with any profile other than the Admin profile.

HELP PLEEAASEE!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories