System Monitor - Track and Log Printing/Cd-writing tasks

Hi Experts,

I am writing a program using Delphi 4 that will monitor printing and CD-writing tasks in my computer. I would like to track the number of print jobs/Cd's written and log the data in a file. For the printer I guess I could use system hooks to trap the message and increment a variable that tracks printouts. For CD-writing I haven't got a clue as to how or where I could obtain the needed data. Any assistance offered will be greatly appreciated. Please point me to the right path, articles or even ideas on how to go about this program. Thank you.

Comments

• : Hi Experts,
    :
    : I am writing a program using Delphi 4 that will monitor printing and CD-writing tasks in my computer. I would like to track the number of print jobs/Cd's written and log the data in a file. For the printer I guess I could use system hooks to trap the message and increment a variable that tracks printouts. For CD-writing I haven't got a clue as to how or where I could obtain the needed data. Any assistance offered will be greatly appreciated. Please point me to the right path, articles or even ideas on how to go about this program. Thank you.
    :
    It is not necessary to repost your question every week. If you don't get an answer it only means that no-one knows the answer.
    Logging the CD-write jobs can be done in 3 ways:
    1 Monitoring the burning hardware and when it starts burning gather the information you need.
    2 Monitoring windows and detect if a burning program is started. Then hook into that program and monitor if it starts a burning job.
    3 Most burning programs keep their own logs of the jobs they did. These logs are often stored in one of these places: Program directories, Registry, or Application Data.
    In any case either of these methods will require some sort of driver for each burning hardware or software, because they will probably not use the same codes and/or layout.
    As for articles, start with google search to find info on burning CDs. From there you might find a way to monitor it.