C++ or C?

My first language was Pascal and I'm halfway through this C++ reference book. Is my decision correct? Should I do C first instead of C++? Please explain. My scope is as a to-be computer science major.

cheers

Comments

• : My first language was Pascal and I'm halfway through this C++ reference book. Is my decision correct? Should I do C first instead of C++? Please explain. My scope is as a to-be computer science major.
    :
    : cheers
    :
    According to Stroustrup, the C++ creator, you do not have to learn C before learning C++. You should choose C++ if you want to use all its powerful features like objects, operator overloading, etc... However, if you prefer to structure your programs like you did in Pascal (ie without using objects; yes, I know extensions to standard Pascal were added by Borland, for example, to allow the use of objects), you should use C.

I hope this will help. Take care, Steph.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by rumy at 2005-3-3 2:47:25[/red][/b][hr]
    nice question, i think i can solve it using programming language :))))
    int c=10;
    cpp=10; /* cpp=c++

c=c++;
    c will become 11 while cpp (c++) is still 10, c++ has a postfix!!!

:))))

so C is better than C++

• : My first language was Pascal and I'm halfway through this C++ reference book. Is my decision correct? Should I do C first instead of C++? Please explain. My scope is as a to-be computer science major.
    :
    :

If you are a CS major you need to learn both c and c++. C is still alive and quite well in the industry. And while your at it you should learn other languages as well, such as java and whatever else your college offers.
    :
    :

i would say...
    first focus on how the machien works, then focus on the different languages you can learn(learn them all, it's easier that way)
    with a complete understanding of how the metal works, and why, the language almost becomes second nature, and all you really have to learn is the limitations, and syntax of your projects language of choice.

i'm willing to say that any language can do anything in the right hands.
    you can code object oriented style in plain c, it's just more difficult than in c++, or other OO specialized language.

HAPPY CODING!!!!