vi, elvis, emacs vs. notepad

Is it worth the time to learn vi?

I work almost exclusively on mainframe and windows environments but am reading up on Linux (Mark Sobell's A Practical Guide To Linux).

How frequently do *nx'ers rely on vi, emacs, etc? - esp in console mode.

(If you know of a better message board out there I should post this question to I would appreciate it. I'll check the google dir.)

Comments

• : Is it worth the time to learn vi?
    :
    : I work almost exclusively on mainframe and windows environments but am reading up on Linux (Mark Sobell's A Practical Guide To Linux).
    :
    : How frequently do *nx'ers rely on vi, emacs, etc? - esp in console mode.
    :
    : (If you know of a better message board out there I should post this question to I would appreciate it. I'll check the google dir.)

I'm a Linux Admin and I use vi daily. I wouldn't be able to do my job without it. I have used emacs and used it all the time while in college but that was before I found out how powerful vi was.
    I don't use vi to it's full potential but it is very useful.

I believe it's definately something you should spend some time on to familarize yourself with. The main reason is, not all Unix systems will have emacs, pico or even other editors. However, almost all Unix systems will have vi.

X
  • : : Is it worth the time to learn vi?
    : :
    : : I work almost exclusively on mainframe and windows environments but am reading up on Linux (Mark Sobell's A Practical Guide To Linux).
    : : How frequently do *nx'ers rely on vi, emacs, etc? - esp in console mode.
    : : (If you know of a better message board out there I should post this question to I would appreciate it. I'll check the google dir.)
    :
    : I'm a Linux Admin and I use vi daily. I wouldn't be able to do my job without it. I have used emacs and used it all the time while in college but that was before I found out how powerful vi was.
    : I don't use vi to it's full potential but it is very useful.
    :
    : I believe it's definately something you should spend some time on to familarize yourself with. The main reason is, not all Unix systems will have emacs, pico or even other editors. However, almost all Unix systems will have vi.
    :
    : X
    :
    Hi,

thats true. Right now, I also use vi on my Windows workstation. And you will have it on all Unix/Linux boxes.
    It is a fast and powerful editor.
    But you should be careful, since Linux uses vim and Unix mainly uses the "old" vi. So you may run into problems, since there are no arrow keys in edit mode and things like this. So, sometimes, there is a :q! your best option ;)
    [black]SaThaRiel[/black]

[size=1][blue]Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked something.[/blue][/size]

• Seven years later - I've kind of taken a liking to Vim, even after trying Notepad++, which is really good too.
    Vim does have a small memory footprint - but adding syntax hiliting does increase memory usage to that comparable of Notepad++.