Converting visual c++ compiler projects to dev c++ projects

[b][red]This message was edited by thegreenstar at 2004-12-31 17:49:54[/red][/b][hr]
I have a project that I have been compiling with my visual c++ compiler, but I HATE HATE HATE the compiler. (My app uses windows API, no MFC) The only thing I like about it is the resource editer and I'm sure that isn't a unique feature. I want to convert the .dsw and .dsp project files to a .dev project file for the bloodshed dev c++ compiler. However, I don't even know what they contain. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, how can I go about it? Thanks.

Actually, I was able to get it to compile, but the menu and the dialog boxes I created with the visual c++ resource editer don't work so all I get is the initial window that isn't in the resource.rc file created with visual c++. Also, a DOS screen appears behind it at runtime,which never happens when I compile it with the visual c++ compiler.

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by thegreenstar at 2004-12-31 17:49:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have a project that I have been compiling with my visual c++ compiler, but I HATE HATE HATE the compiler. (My app uses windows API, no MFC) The only thing I like about it is the resource editer and I'm sure that isn't a unique feature. I want to convert the .dsw and .dsp project files to a .dev project file for the bloodshed dev c++ compiler. However, I don't even know what they contain. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, how can I go about it? Thanks.
    :
    : Actually, I was able to get it to compile, but the menu and the dialog boxes I created with the visual c++ resource editer don't work so all I get is the initial window that isn't in the resource.rc file created with visual c++. Also, a DOS screen appears behind it at runtime,which never happens when I compile it with the visual c++ compiler.
    :

[blue]I havn't tried it, but I suspect it would be a lot quicker and easier to create a new Windows project in Dev-C++ then copy the *.cpp, *.h and *.rc files from the VC++ project into Dev-C++ project folder.[/blue]
  • Dev-C++ can import some vc++ projects. FILE > import. It might be best if you have the latest version if not already.
  • : Dev-C++ can import some vc++ projects. FILE > import. It might be best if you have the latest version if not already.
    :
    I did that, and it worked! Yay! For future reference to others who try this: As of now, the latest Dev compiler is version 5, beta. I needed to copy the winres.h file into the project directory before it would work. Thanks so much for your help!
  • : [b][red]This message was edited by thegreenstar at 2004-12-31 17:49:54[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have a project that I have been compiling with my visual c++ compiler, but I HATE HATE HATE the compiler. (My app uses windows API, no MFC) The only thing I like about it is the resource editer and I'm sure that isn't a unique feature. I want to convert the .dsw and .dsp project files to a .dev project file for the bloodshed dev c++ compiler. However, I don't even know what they contain. Is there an easy way to do this? If not, how can I go about it? Thanks.
    :
    : Actually, I was able to get it to compile, but the menu and the dialog boxes I created with the visual c++ resource editer don't work so all I get is the initial window that isn't in the resource.rc file created with visual c++. Also, a DOS screen appears behind it at runtime,which never happens when I compile it with the visual c++ compiler.
    :

I use both MSVC and Dev-C and in my opinion MSVC is 100% better than Dev-C. The IDE is better (smarter code formatting, better context popups, better F1 help topics). Also the MSVC debugger is much more helpful. I only use Dev-C when I need basic gcc type compiling.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]