Using SQL statements in VB

The book shows me SQL statements, allows me to test them thru Visdata and SQL-VB programs, but the code doesn't work in the VB program when I try to write an app. Why are these authors continually leaving vital stuff out of their "simple..easy..learn in 21 days...teach yourself...etc" books

Help please,
Pytor?

Comments

• : The book shows me SQL statements, allows me to test them thru Visdata and SQL-VB programs, but the code doesn't work in the VB program when I try to write an app. Why are these authors continually leaving vital stuff out of their "simple..easy..learn in 21 days...teach yourself...etc" books
    :
    : Help please,
    : Pytor?

"Help, please", sniffled the newbie programmer as he flipped through his books helplessly. The veteran - some would say guru - sensed his disappointment and approached him. The newbie regaled the veteran with stories of complex solutions sought and the terrible publishing companies that thwarted his attempts with useless examples. He was about to begin another sordid tale of programming disasters when the veteran held up his and and softly said, "Stop." The newbie's voice trailed off and he listened intently for the veteran's advice. After what seemed an improbable amount of time, the veteran simply said, "if you wish to receive useful answers, learn to ask useful questions." With that, the veteran left the newbie to ponder his advice and went back to programming great and mysterious wonders.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• : : The book shows me SQL statements, allows me to test them thru Visdata and SQL-VB programs, but the code doesn't work in the VB program when I try to write an app. Why are these authors continually leaving vital stuff out of their "simple..easy..learn in 21 days...teach yourself...etc" books
    : :
    : : Help please,
    : : Pytor?
    :
    : "Help, please", sniffled the newbie programmer as he flipped through his books helplessly. The veteran - some would say guru - sensed his disappointment and approached him. The newbie regaled the veteran with stories of complex solutions sought and the terrible publishing companies that thwarted his attempts with useless examples. He was about to begin another sordid tale of programming disasters when the veteran held up his and and softly said, "Stop." The newbie's voice trailed off and he listened intently for the veteran's advice. After what seemed an improbable amount of time, the veteran simply said, "if you wish to receive useful answers, learn to ask useful questions." With that, the veteran left the newbie to ponder his advice and went back to programming great and mysterious wonders.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

In case your not sure where Infidel was going with that ( and he is a guru from what I've seen ) is if you want our help - and you can get really useful answers here. you have to ask specific questions - we don't mind helping but we can't walk you through an entire programming language - if a specific example is giving you grief - make sure to post the following:
    - What you are trying to do.
    - Your Source Code.
    - any error messages that you are getting.

these are all important things to know if you expect us to answer you questions, and I'm sure the examples in the book work fine - if done properly - and remember no one book can or will ever show you everything - make sure to check out other resources - like Google, ect...

And once again we don't mind answering your questions, just make sure you post a question, not a complaint because we sure can't help you with that and it just wastes our time.

So get some of the specifics I listed above and make a post with the problem you are having and I'm sure we can help.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]