Bitmap bit depth problem

Hey all

The problem started when I accendentially saved a 16-bit bitmap as 24-bit in Photoshop (the default saving position is 24-bit for bitmaps in Ps). This slowed my game down to a constant 50 fps, which seemed very strange, without any relevant changes being done.

It took me almost a week to understand what the problem was, but when I converted my bitmap to 16-bit again, my game run just fine again.

It worked fine for about a week or two but now I have the same problem! With NO changes done! From time to time when I start up my project, debug it and run - it slows down! Maybe each 10 times it works fine...

I tried to create a small DirectX project with only one bitmap and framerate calculation. SAME problem! It works only now and then.

I set up DirectX with SetDisplayMode(640,480, 16, 0,0).

I'm using C/C++ and Visual Studio 2002 PRO. Anyone encountered the same problem? Any solutions/suggestions? Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• : Hey all
    :
    : The problem started when I accendentially saved a 16-bit bitmap as 24-bit in Photoshop (the default saving position is 24-bit for bitmaps in Ps). This slowed my game down to a constant 50 fps, which seemed very strange, without any relevant changes being done.
    :
    : It took me almost a week to understand what the problem was, but when I converted my bitmap to 16-bit again, my game run just fine again.
    :
    : It worked fine for about a week or two but now I have the same problem! With NO changes done! From time to time when I start up my project, debug it and run - it slows down! Maybe each 10 times it works fine...
    :
    : I tried to create a small DirectX project with only one bitmap and framerate calculation. SAME problem! It works only now and then.
    :
    : I set up DirectX with SetDisplayMode(640,480, 16, 0,0).
    :
    : I'm using C/C++ and Visual Studio 2002 PRO. Anyone encountered the same problem? Any solutions/suggestions? Any help appreciated!
    :
    : Thanks
    :

Maybe it's what you're using to display the bitmap. If you made the algorithm yourself, it could be quite slow. Also check if your video card supports 24-bit color mode because the HEL may be helping you out (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am new to DirectX :P)