Can u help me plz.

Hi there, 1st , sorry about my bad english but i'm from mexico ^^

here's the question ...

i'm doing a program to analize an expretion, like ((44/12)*15)
when the program starts , it asks the user to 'press' the correct order of the equation(without the parentesis) 1 by 1, so everytime a caracter is readed , it's temp. saved on a variable (type string).
i can use the integer values saved there, but i can not do operations like plus, div, etc.., so dats my question ,

how can i assing integer values saved on a string variable into a string variable

example:

var1:string;
var2:integer;

write('character? ');
readln(var1); {i need to read it on a string variable because of the simbols , + , ^ , * , ... etc }

var2:=var1; {obviously,here's when error 25 appears}

i hope some1 can help me with this maybe 'dumb' question,

^^ thanx anyways , because of this excellent website

Comments

• : Hi there, 1st , sorry about my bad english but i'm from mexico ^^
    :
    : here's the question ...
    :
    : i'm doing a program to analize an expretion, like ((44/12)*15)
    : when the program starts , it asks the user to 'press' the correct order of the equation(without the parentesis) 1 by 1, so everytime a caracter is readed , it's temp. saved on a variable (type string).
    : i can use the integer values saved there, but i can not do operations like plus, div, etc.., so dats my question ,
    :
    : how can i assing integer values saved on a string variable into a string variable
    :
    : example:
    :
    : var1:string;
    : var2:integer;
    :
    : write('character? ');
    : readln(var1); {i need to read it on a string variable because of the simbols , + , ^ , * , ... etc }
    :
    :
    : var2:=var1; {obviously,here's when error 25 appears}
    :
    :
    : i hope some1 can help me with this maybe 'dumb' question,
    :
    : ^^ thanx anyways , because of this excellent website
    :
    :
    :
    :
    hi!
    I find your question interesting,although I can`t find a solution for your problem.
    The error is in this line:var2:=var1;
    It is simply not possible that you assign an integer variable with a string value.It a type mischmash.
    I suggest that you store the nimbers in integer variables and the sybmols'+','-',etc in strings.then you can use if-then or case to comply the operation requested.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    li-zi

• : Hi there, 1st , sorry about my bad english but i'm from mexico ^^
    :
    : here's the question ...
    :
    : i'm doing a program to analize an expretion, like ((44/12)*15)
    : when the program starts , it asks the user to 'press' the correct order of the equation(without the parentesis) 1 by 1, so everytime a caracter is readed , it's temp. saved on a variable (type string).
    : i can use the integer values saved there, but i can not do operations like plus, div, etc.., so dats my question ,
    :
    : how can i assing integer values saved on a string variable into a string variable
    :
    : example:
    :
    : var1:string;
    : var2:integer;
    :
    : write('character? ');
    : readln(var1); {i need to read it on a string variable because of the simbols , + , ^ , * , ... etc }
    :
    :
    : var2:=var1; {obviously,here's when error 25 appears}
    :
    :
    : i hope some1 can help me with this maybe 'dumb' question,
    :
    : ^^ thanx anyways , because of this excellent website

If var1 is going to have non-numerical characters (like +, ^, *, etc), then you'll have to write a function to split that string so you can separate the numbers from the operators.

Then to convert a string containing a number to an integer, you can use the Val() function.