connect computers

[b][red]This message was edited by Redferrine at 2004-6-9 22:22:52[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,

I have 2 workstations and i wanted to connect them both. I wanted the other one to contain Oracle Database which will serve as the server and the other for VB programming. I do not know networking... What are the things that i must have to connect this two?

I am considering buying a hub and twisted wire pair cable. Both of my workstations have LAN Card in it.

How do i start?

Thanks!
Red

I also would like to ask if a crossover cable could do for database accessing instead of me buying a hub. If this is not possible, I have seen an Ethernet Unmanaged which is not the 10/100Mps, would this work?

will really appreciate.

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by Redferrine at 2004-6-9 22:22:52[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have 2 workstations and i wanted to connect them both. I wanted the other one to contain Oracle Database which will serve as the server and the other for VB programming. I do not know networking... What are the things that i must have to connect this two?
    :
    : I am considering buying a hub and twisted wire pair cable. Both of my workstations have LAN Card in it.
    :
    : How do i start?
    :
    : Thanks!

I know almost nothing on networking, but if all you want is to connnect the two computers you shouldn't need a hub - uless you want internet access between the two - I'm pretty sure it is possible to network directly between the two computers. I would also post you question on the hardware forums - they may have a better idea.
    : Red
    :
    : I also would like to ask if a crossover cable could do for database accessing instead of me buying a hub. If this is not possible, I have seen an Ethernet Unmanaged which is not the 10/100Mps, would this work?
    :
    : will really appreciate.
    :
    :
    :

[blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• : : [b][red]This message was edited by Redferrine at 2004-6-9 22:22:52[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I have 2 workstations and i wanted to connect them both. I wanted the other one to contain Oracle Database which will serve as the server and the other for VB programming. I do not know networking... What are the things that i must have to connect this two?
    : : I am considering buying a hub and twisted wire pair cable. Both of my workstations have LAN Card in it.
    : : How do i start?
    : : Thanks!
    :
    : I know almost nothing on networking, but if all you want is to connnect the two computers you shouldn't need a hub - uless you want internet access between the two - I'm pretty sure it is possible to network directly between the two computers. I would also post you question on the hardware forums - they may have a better idea.
    : : Red
    : : I also would like to ask if a crossover cable could do for database accessing instead of me buying a hub. If this is not possible, I have seen an Ethernet Unmanaged which is not the 10/100Mps, would this work?
    : : will really appreciate.
    :
    : [blue]
    : C:Dos
    : C:Dos Run
    : Run Dos Run
    : [/blue]
    :
    :
    A cross-over cable is all you need if the computers are reasonably close to each other. If more than two computers you will need to use a hub. UTP cat 5 runs up to 300 meters.

Hope this helps

John ;-)
  • Thanks man!... really appreciate the help
  • : Thanks man!... really appreciate the help
    :
    actually that is not true i have 2 pc's and i connect them through a switch (dont get a hub wellll to slowwwwwwwwwwwww) as it is very fast at everything. u can have inet access on both machines even if u just use a single crossover cable to connect the pair. need any info just ask
    from
    mark