WH_GETMESSAGE

Hi everyone,

I am developing a utility that intercepts keyboard messages (WM_KEYxx, WM_SYSKEYxx) and discards them by setting the message field to WM_NULL. This is supposed to effectively lock out the keyboard because I would like to prevent users from using the keyboard when my utility is running unless they have an unlock key. The problem is I am getting a runtime error when I close the application that has the input focus. The hook type I used is system wide. Is there a way to prevent Windows from sending the message to the destination window. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• : Hi everyone,
    :
    : I am developing a utility that intercepts keyboard messages (WM_KEYxx, WM_SYSKEYxx) and discards them by setting the message field to WM_NULL. This is supposed to effectively lock out the keyboard because I would like to prevent users from using the keyboard when my utility is running unless they have an unlock key. The problem is I am getting a runtime error when I close the application that has the input focus. The hook type I used is system wide. Is there a way to prevent Windows from sending the message to the destination window. Any help will be highly appreciated.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    I find your application of a system hook a bit strange but nevertheless, a hook-procedure should be in a dll. All active applications will aut. load this library, in this way the procedure is mapped to the applications adressing space. If you haven't done this, this could be the problem.

• Hi again,

I have implemented the System wide hook in a DLL. What I would now like to do is to prevent the keyboard messages from reaching the destination window after intercepting them. What I have done is to change the message field to WM_NULL to indicate a blank message. Is there a way to discard the keyboard message so it cant be retrieved by the active application say Notepad even if it has focus.

Thanx