Can't find HDD

(I confess I am very ignorant about these things).

I just got this old computer second-hand, and when I start it up it says it can't detect the HDD. Actually, the reads something close to:

Detecting HDD Primary Master.....None

And then it asks to insert a system disk. What I want to know is if it's possible that the HDD actually exists, and if so, how to find it. Or should it just go into the dumpster.

Comments

• Two possibilities exist.. either you are having a dead hard disk or the connection to the slot is not "fit". Try reinserting the connector to the mother board.. If not responding, try the same disk on some other PC.
    Your PC is asking for the system floppy disk coz it cannot find the boot up files on the hard disk..
    Try inserting the boot up floppy disk (compatiable to the Operating system which you use) and try by pressing some keys...
  • [b][red]This message was edited by sigma_zk at 2004-8-10 18:45:14[/red][/b][hr]
    Turns out the plug just appeared to be plugged in but actually wasn't. Figured it out two days after the post.

• : (I confess I am very ignorant about these things).
    :
    : I just got this old computer second-hand, and when I start it up it says it can't detect the HDD. Actually, the reads something close to:
    :
    : Detecting HDD Primary Master.....None
    :
    : And then it asks to insert a system disk. What I want to know is if it's possible that the HDD actually exists, and if so, how to find it. Or should it just go into the dumpster.
    :

Most probably the reasons for not detecting the hard disc might be

1) the disk may not be configured as primary master, but in BIOS settings you may have set the paraneters such that the hard disk is primary master.

2) the data cable to the hard disk or the hard disk itself may be faulty

3) the HDD controller in the motherboard may not be enabled in the Chipset Configuration submenu in BIOS.

TroubleShooting..
    =================

As the computer boots up press DEL (F2 or other key) so that the CMOS configuraton utility is displayed. Then go to HDD autodetection menu and
    press HDD autodetection. If the hardare section is Ok then the parameters for the hard disk will be autimatically set. In case that doesnt solve the problem then take the chipset configuration submenmu in the CMOS settings and make sure that it is enabled.
    If the above steps cannot rectify the problem, then the problem might be with the hardware section(Data Cable or the HD itself). First try out
    with a new data cable and check whether the computer can detect your hard disk.In case this fails try to detect your HD on another computer.
    If it doesnt work out the problem may be related to your hard disk.