Help with compilers

I am using codewarrior version 5 and VC++ version 6 on my computer. I have recently downloaded DX9 SDK on my system and have no other Direct X versions. I wanted to compile and run the sample codes provided by the SDK however neither of my compilers will compile the code. I get several error messages. Can anyone tell me what is going on and what I can do.

Thank you,
Michael

Comments

• : I am using codewarrior version 5 and VC++ version 6 on my computer. I have recently downloaded DX9 SDK on my system and have no other Direct X versions. I wanted to compile and run the sample codes provided by the SDK however neither of my compilers will compile the code. I get several error messages. Can anyone tell me what is going on and what I can do.
    :
    : Thank you,
    : Michael
    :
    Hi Michael,

When you use C++ (Visual Studio) you have to prepare your compiler for the use of DirextX by setting the directory paths for the library and include files. You do this under the Options window.

Steps: Start Visual Studio and open the menu Tools, select Options and select the tab Directories. Click on the: Show Directories for menu, and you get a list of filecatogories you can select. Select the include files option.
    Then you search for the path of the DirectX SDK, a usual for this path looks like:

C:
    C:MSSDK
    C:MSSDKBIN
    C:MSSDKDOC
    C:MSSDKINCLUDE
    C:MSSDKLIB
    C:MSSDKSAMPLES

When you have found this SDK you double click on the first empty line in the directorylist of Visual Studio and you typ the location of the directory Include under the SDK, so you type: C:MSSDKINLUDE. (If thats the path where your SDK is).
    When you have done this drag this directory to the top of the list because Visual Studio will look first in this directory, so it won't use older versions of DirextX.
    Then you do this step again for the directory: Lib, (you place this under the catagory Library Files in the Directory-list, so just below the Library reference that is already in the list.
    When you have done this your compiler is ready to compile DirextX.

So again you only have to include the INCLUDE and LIB files and your compiler will work.

With friendly greatings,

Yepper65