Pathfinding!

Hi, I'm looking for decent pathfinding algorithms to use in my games.
I've tried using A* but I couldn't quite get my code to work.

Any codes or pseudo-codes, or links to such delights would be greatly appreciated, I use Yabasic.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Try to read the Arrakis source code (it is in QBasic), it is probably the best strategy ever made in QBasic.
  • : Try to read the Arrakis source code (it is in QBasic), it is probably the best strategy ever made in QBasic.
    :
    I had Qb3(I think it was 3!!), but I don't have it now. I've had trouble trying to locate it, lately, as well!
    When I had QB, I remember I downloaded Arrakis (a cheap, yet, very well designed Dune II clone!). That kind of pathfinding IS the kind I'm after.
    I program in YAbasic(still under construction, monochrome graphics, how much fun it is to ride with A background colour and A drawing colour, but... I think I do a good enough job!!).

My main problem is that I know the A* pathfinding routine, but I'm having trouble:

If you know the A* routine or have an example algo., it would be greatly appreciated.

The speific algo I need is concerning assigning the 'Parent' tile. When I did it the first one worked perfectly, but when I let it find the destination tile(which it did pretty quickly, albeit on a 25 x 25 grid.) the parents seemed to get all messed up and I think it's to do with my open/closed lists.

Sorry for rambling, but you can't understand the problems I've had, with no formal tuition in computer programming.

Thanks for replying and where can I get Qbasic and the Arrakis code??

One other thing, I'm not sure about your aptitude as I don't know who you are, however what do you think of this:
    People type pseudo-code into a text file
    A special program which could even be written in basic, parses the pseudo into a structured program(text file again) like *.c
    My latest idea is a program called 'C-reate' which would parse pseudo_code into a C/C++ program.
    What do you think?
  • : One other thing, I'm not sure about your aptitude as I don't know who you are, however what do you think of this:
    : People type pseudo-code into a text file
    : A special program which could even be written in basic, parses the pseudo into a structured program(text file again) like *.c
    : My latest idea is a program called 'C-reate' which would parse pseudo_code into a C/C++ program.
    : What do you think?
    :

I tried the compiler design months ago, but it wasn't that easy. Now that I'm planing to make an RPG, I will need both: scripting and pathfinding.

Anyway, give me your email, I have the source of Arrakis, it is 1.32 MB (source + binaries).
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Edge_Krusha at 2004-5-3 0:29:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : One other thing, I'm not sure about your aptitude as I don't know who you are, however what do you think of this:
    : : People type pseudo-code into a text file
    : : A special program which could even be written in basic, parses the pseudo into a structured program(text file again) like *.c
    : : My latest idea is a program called 'C-reate' which would parse pseudo_code into a C/C++ program.
    : : What do you think?
    : :
    :
    : I tried the compiler design months ago, but it wasn't that easy. Now that I'm planing to make an RPG, I will need both: scripting and pathfinding.
    :
    : Anyway, give me your email, I have the source of Arrakis, it is 1.32 MB (source + binaries).
    :
    My email is 'paul_midgley_261@hotmail.com'

I hope I can pick the pathfinding out of the source code.

I've tried getting into C, but I've struggled.
    The only thing I've managed to do in C is an Encryption program to Encrypt/Decrypt data files to protect levels, graphics and such.
    I've been programming in basic on/off for 17 years. I started on the amstrad 6128, 8 bit pile of crap. Games were made up of ascii graphics or text or both.

Now, I'm trying to suss 3D worlds 2D pixel perfect collison detection, the now obvious pathfinding and, wait for it...

...I too want to make an RPG, how about some collaboration?
    I may be of some use in the scripting, story and puzzle departments...

Oh, and mini-games!!

Ta for the reply!!

• : My email is 'paul_midgley_261@hotmail.com'
    :
    : I hope I can pick the pathfinding out of the source code.
    :
    : I've tried getting into C, but I've struggled.
    : The only thing I've managed to do in C is an Encryption program to Encrypt/Decrypt data files to protect levels, graphics and such.
    : I've been programming in basic on/off for 17 years. I started on the amstrad 6128, 8 bit pile of crap. Games were made up of ascii graphics or text or both.
    :
    : Now, I'm trying to suss 3D worlds 2D pixel perfect collison detection, the now obvious pathfinding and, wait for it...
    :
    : ...I too want to make an RPG, how about some collaboration?
    : I may be of some use in the scripting, story and puzzle departments...
    :

Did you recive my e-mail ?
    I don't work in basic anymore (too many limitations).

Now I use GNU C/C++ and Allegro (I also tried SDL but it is much more complex). That way I can have my programs run on DOS, Windows, Linux and BSD (I think there are more platforms supported).

I'm working on a object oriented scripting language now. It is very complicated and I thing it will take me one or two months.

• :
    : : My email is 'paul_midgley_261@hotmail.com'
    : : I hope I can pick the pathfinding out of the source code.
    : : I've tried getting into C, but I've struggled.
    : : The only thing I've managed to do in C is an Encryption program to Encrypt/Decrypt data files to protect levels, graphics and such.
    : : I've been programming in basic on/off for 17 years. I started on the amstrad 6128, 8 bit pile of crap. Games were made up of ascii graphics or text or both.
    : : Now, I'm trying to suss 3D worlds 2D pixel perfect collison detection, the now obvious pathfinding and, wait for it...
    : : ...I too want to make an RPG, how about some collaboration?
    : : I may be of some use in the scripting, story and puzzle departments...
    :
    : Did you recive my e-mail ?
    : I don't work in basic anymore (too many limitations).
    :
    : Now I use GNU C/C++ and Allegro (I also tried SDL but it is much more complex). That way I can have my programs run on DOS, Windows, Linux and BSD (I think there are more platforms supported).
    :
    : I'm working on a object oriented scripting language now. It is very complicated and I thing it will take me one or two months.
    :
    :
    :
    Yes, I recieved it. I think the problem might be that I don't have a full subsription to hotmail and so I don't think it will accept the Arrakis file(too large!?), thanks for trying though!

If you could point me to a website, where I could pick it up, I'll try that way.

Me and my mate live together, he programs in C, he's halfway through a course to learn it properly and C++. I too want to use C(at least for now!)

I've tried others too(ever heard of 'Euphoria'), but I can't quite grasp the concept of OOP and I'm not fully aware of it's benefits. How did you learn it?
  • : :
    : : : My email is 'paul_midgley_261@hotmail.com'
    : : :
    : : : I hope I can pick the pathfinding out of the source code.
    : : : I've tried getting into C, but I've struggled.
    : : : The only thing I've managed to do in C is an Encryption program to Encrypt/Decrypt data files to protect levels, graphics and such.
    : : : I've been programming in basic on/off for 17 years. I started on the amstrad 6128, 8 bit pile of crap. Games were made up of ascii graphics or text or both.
    : : : Now, I'm trying to suss 3D worlds 2D pixel perfect collison detection, the now obvious pathfinding and, wait for it...
    : : : ...I too want to make an RPG, how about some collaboration?
    : : : I may be of some use in the scripting, story and puzzle departments...
    : : Did you recive my e-mail ?
    : : I don't work in basic anymore (too many limitations).
    : : Now I use GNU C/C++ and Allegro (I also tried SDL but it is much more complex). That way I can have my programs run on DOS, Windows, Linux and BSD (I think there are more platforms supported).
    : : I'm working on a object oriented scripting language now. It is very complicated and I thing it will take me one or two months.
    : Yes, I recieved it. I think the problem might be that I don't have a full subsription to hotmail and so I don't think it will accept the Arrakis file(too large!?), thanks for trying though!
    :
    : If you could point me to a website, where I could pick it up, I'll try that way.
    :
    : Me and my mate live together, he programs in C, he's halfway through a course to learn it properly and C++. I too want to use C(at least for now!)
    :
    : I've tried others too(ever heard of 'Euphoria'), but I can't quite grasp the concept of OOP and I'm not fully aware of it's benefits. How did you learn it?
    :

Euphoria - a unique programming lanuguage that compares itself to qbasic (which is ugly, 16bits vs 32 bits). They have some OOP functions but only as an addon (an ugly one). They have a new great thing: sequence (possible only in high level languages).

Arrakis was developed by Future software (from www.qb45.com) but it seams they're gone. Search for arrakis on google.com.

• : : :
    : : : : My email is 'paul_midgley_261@hotmail.com'
    : : : :
    : : : : I hope I can pick the pathfinding out of the source code.
    : : : : I've tried getting into C, but I've struggled.
    : : : : The only thing I've managed to do in C is an Encryption program to Encrypt/Decrypt data files to protect levels, graphics and such.
    : : : : I've been programming in basic on/off for 17 years. I started on the amstrad 6128, 8 bit pile of crap. Games were made up of ascii graphics or text or both.
    : : : : Now, I'm trying to suss 3D worlds 2D pixel perfect collison detection, the now obvious pathfinding and, wait for it...
    : : : : ...I too want to make an RPG, how about some collaboration?
    : : : : I may be of some use in the scripting, story and puzzle departments...
    : : : Did you recive my e-mail ?
    : : : I don't work in basic anymore (too many limitations).
    : : : Now I use GNU C/C++ and Allegro (I also tried SDL but it is much more complex). That way I can have my programs run on DOS, Windows, Linux and BSD (I think there are more platforms supported).
    : : : I'm working on a object oriented scripting language now. It is very complicated and I thing it will take me one or two months.
    : : Yes, I recieved it. I think the problem might be that I don't have a full subsription to hotmail and so I don't think it will accept the Arrakis file(too large!?), thanks for trying though!
    : : If you could point me to a website, where I could pick it up, I'll try that way.
    : : Me and my mate live together, he programs in C, he's halfway through a course to learn it properly and C++. I too want to use C(at least for now!)
    : : I've tried others too(ever heard of 'Euphoria'), but I can't quite grasp the concept of OOP and I'm not fully aware of it's benefits. How did you learn it?
    :
    :
    : Euphoria - a unique programming lanuguage that compares itself to qbasic (which is ugly, 16bits vs 32 bits). They have some OOP functions but only as an addon (an ugly one). They have a new great thing: sequence (possible only in high level languages).
    :
    : Arrakis was developed by Future software (from www.qb45.com) but it seams they're gone. Search for arrakis on google.com.
    :
    : I've just disovered a language called Ibasic, which allows access to diretX functions. This could be just what I'm after! With Yabasic I didn't even have access to colour!!

• Try also RapidQ, I think it is no longer developed but it have some graphics and GUI or console (developed in Delphi/Kylix)
  • : Hi, I'm looking for decent pathfinding algorithms to use in my games.
    : I've tried using A* but I couldn't quite get my code to work.
    :
    : Any codes or pseudo-codes, or links to such delights would be greatly appreciated, I use Yabasic.
    :
    : Thanks!!
    :
    Can you be more specific??? show the code you need modified...
    Otherwise it sounds like you can just use a "recursive file search"
    which you may downlaod free here:

http://www.zarr.net/vb/download/codedetail.asp?code=182

This is an open soure(free) code for what you sound like youre trying to do!