what is "pentium"

hey there...
i wonder from where the intel's Pentium processor name came from...
any ideas??

thanks
ak

Comments

• : i wonder from where the intel's Pentium processor name came from...
    : any ideas??
    :
    As I know it...they had the 286, 386 and 486 line of processor products. They originally wanted to make the next one the 586, but another company was already using that name. So they called the next line of products the Pentium, with "Pent" meaning 5 (think of a pentagon, with 5 sides, for example).

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• : hey there...
    : i wonder from where the intel's Pentium processor name came from...
    :
    : thanks
    : ak
    :

As was mentioned, Intel had named early CPUs by "part number", such as 286, 386, etc.

Another company used the name 286 or 386 for their version of the CPU, and Intel sued, claiming that it was an infringment, and that they "owned" the "name" 386.

A court decided that a company cannot trademark a part number, so Intel decided to name their next CPU, rather than call it a "586". The name "Pentium" comes from the base word "penta", which means five.

Hope this extra detail is helpful.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : hey there...
    : i wonder from where the intel's Pentium processor name came from...
    :
    : thanks
    : ak
    :

Pentium is greek-latin word. Penta means Five. for example Pentagon. In the beginning intel developed their processors named in numerical version like 8086,80286,386,486. Simultaneously the competetors developed their processors and named the same number. so, in the market intel can't stand with special. when they suit a case against their competetor but the judgement is not favour to intel because no one can patent a number because numbers are universal one. so, Intel decied to fix a new trade name on the processors also. so, they name their 586 processors as Pentium I. by this concept they capture the IT-market with their special name and till now they withstand this specilisation.
    This is the story i got from my seniors when i asked like you.