Detecting NIC Card ???

Can anybody help me in detecting how many NIC cards are there onmy pc ?
Is it possible to continously detect which NIC is currently connected with which network??

Comments

• : Can anybody help me in detecting how many NIC cards are there onmy pc ?

Dunno what language or operating system you're working with, but there are PCI functions in the BIOS (INT 1Ah) that can scan for devices.
    Presumably, there are similar api's for windows programming.

Basically, you will want to scan the entire PCI bus, reading the class and subclass registers to determine how many NIC cards there are.
    You'll want to look at the PCI specification, and there might be some stuff on this website of mine to help:
    http://www.waste.org/~winkles/hardware/pci.htm

-jeff!
  • : : Can anybody help me in detecting how many NIC cards are there onmy pc ?
    :

This may sound silly, but why not pull off the cover and look? NICs are either on a separate PCI card (or ISA for that matter), or built into the mother board.

When the computer boots, before it loads the OS, it probably displays the list of devices available. That's usually shown just after the list of hard drives.

It might help if you'd explain what you're trying to acomplish. There are certainly ways to programmatically determine how many net cards are active, and which one is handling traffic.

The real question, though, is why you'd want to know this. The answer might help us to give you the best solution.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• [b][red]This message was edited by bdk05 at 2004-3-26 23:47:33[/red][/b][hr]

I actually need to detect each and every device configured on my PC during start up time in all Windows OS and Programming language I need to use is VC++(SDK). You can say I need to do the same things Windows PNP does. Can any body help me please. Can anybody tell me some API's in Windows programming related to this. The device I mean is a physical device; it may be HDD, Printer, Scanner, etc which may be connected to any Serial , Parallel , USB ports.

Thanking You

BDK