Noisy hard disk

I've recently had a new hard disk installed in my laptop, and now it frequently goes into a noisy 'busy state' (hard disk busy light comes on), and causes any program that is running to stop-start in a jarring fashion (such as halting mp3's in mid-play several times-and that's with nothing else running),and system resources 60% free. However, if I go and click (just selecting) on a few files in windows-explorer it operates fines for a while. I know the usual answer is to replace your hard disk, but that option is not open to me for a couple of months,so I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to get around this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• : I've recently had a new hard disk installed in my laptop, and now it frequently goes into a noisy 'busy state' (hard disk busy light comes on), and causes any program that is running to stop-start in a jarring fashion (such as halting mp3's in mid-play several times-and that's with nothing else running),and system resources 60% free. However, if I go and click (just selecting) on a few files in windows-explorer it operates fines for a while. I know the usual answer is to replace your hard disk, but that option is not open to me for a couple of months,so I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to get around this problem.
    :
    : Any help would be much appreciated.
    :

Hi:

Well, the answer is not to replace hardware first, but to diagnose the problem first, then take appropriate steps based on the diagnosis.

I'd expect, without any further info, that the hard drive itself is OK, since it doesn't always exhibit problems.

What you need to do is download a HD diagnostic program, run it, and see the results. Most HD companies have a utilities download seciton on their website, and will have a drive diagnostic program. You didn't mention the brand of HD,, so I can't tell you the link without knowing that.

If the HD diagnostic reports no drive problems, then you need to look for some other things. Most laptops want to go into some form of "sleep" mode after a period of inactivity. It could be that playing MP3s is not considered "Activity" by your computer, so it starts to go into sleep mode. You can disable that function in Windows, and see if that makes a difference.

Another possibility is a virus or "malware" that is using up CPU time and/or HD bandwidth. You'd need to run something like AdAware to see if there's something bogging things down.

Why not do some of these things, and let us know the results?

Good luck.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]