Pentium What?

What is the best way to distinguish Pentium machines? I would like to be able to tell whether a machine is a Pentium 1,2 or 3. At least for the P4 I can tell by just checking the Motherboard coz its Processor socket is smaller. I will appreciate very much if I could just obtain a checklist of things to check for on any system. Is it possible to tell what Pentium I have by checking the Processor speed because I used to think the speeds could be categorized in ranges for P1-P4? Thanks to all who will contribute.

Comments

• Your question is rather vague. There are various solutions. My first step would be to check via software methods. I found a free little program called CPU Identification written by somebody named "roadkil." It works quite well. There are also some registry keys that you might want to research that may give you more information.

If you are strictly looking at a motherboard, your quest may prove more difficult. I would start by checking the PGA or Slot type, motherboard manufacturer, etc. If you have more specific questions, I could help you find more information.

Regards,
    John B.

: What is the best way to distinguish Pentium machines? I would like to be able to tell whether a machine is a Pentium 1,2 or 3. At least for the P4 I can tell by just checking the Motherboard coz its Processor socket is smaller. I will appreciate very much if I could just obtain a checklist of things to check for on any system. Is it possible to tell what Pentium I have by checking the Processor speed because I used to think the speeds could be categorized in ranges for P1-P4? Thanks to all who will contribute.
    :
    :