Having trouble setting up a small network

I'm trying to network 3 PC's. One's running XP Pro, one has Win2000, and one will be a Linux box. I hve a router, which I was told I could use by plugging the three into the individual ports, leaving the "outside" plug vacant. So far, I've just tried the two Win machines, and can't get them to talk to one another. Does this sound like it should work? Thanks in advance.

Lowell

Comments

• : I'm trying to network 3 PC's. One's running XP Pro, one has
    : Win2000, and one will be a Linux box.
    Feasible. At least you've got no Win 9x machines in the mix, which in my experience haven't been so easy to set up.

: I hve a router, which I was told I could use by plugging the three
    : into the individual ports, leaving the "outside" plug vacant.
    Uh...I somehow think what you have is a router and switch (or hub) combo. If it's just a router, you won't be getting far. These days router/switch or router/hub combo units are fairly popular so it's not beyond belief.

: So far, I've just tried the two Win machines, and can't get them to
    : talk to one another. Does this sound like it should work?
    Depends what you've tried. Some thoughts:-

When you connect the two machines to the huh, do the connection lights light up?

Have you configured your machines to automatically obtain an IP address? Or have you manually assigned? Some router/switch boxes double up as DHCP servers so automatic will work. Sometimes automatic just does work.

Do the machines end up with IP addresses assigned to the ethernet adapters? Try running ipconfig at the command prompt and post the output here.

Can the machines ping each other?

If not, do you have firewalls up that are causing trouble with their ability to connect to each other (I've seen this, it happens)? Many of them need to have the Local or Trusted set of IPs entered. Then it will work. Try pinging again.

Good luck,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• :
    : Good luck,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    It was the firewall; I needed to add the local machines to the trusted list. Thanks, man.

Lowell