line-in and line-out control

i want to send actual files and folders through the line-out pin where the speakers are connected to the computer, and receive the same through line-in. i dont know whether this is possible, if it is possible, please care to contact me at aerocostar@yahoo.com, or please tell how can i accomplish this job and using which language or technology...

Comments

• : i want to send actual files and folders through the line-out pin where the speakers are connected to the computer, and receive the same through line-in. i dont know whether this is possible, if it is possible, please care to contact me at aerocostar@yahoo.com, or please tell how can i accomplish this job and using which language or technology...
    :

You're nuts, but I suppose you could convert data to sound format and pipe it through and then "decode" on the other end. Since it's analog, I'd probably use high and low frequencies to represent ones and zeros (of the data). You'd need to use relevant APIs to output and capture the sound (so most any windows language will work). You'd also need to establish a "range" in which the frequencies can be and still be valid since analog will be prone to electronic "noise" and distortion. For example, if the range could be represented by 1 through 100, then you could say that 5-15 could be a valid low tone and 85-95 a valid high tone. For validity, you'd need to develop some kind of CRC or hash to represent the data. If you send 100 bytes, the first 92 could be data and the other 8 the hash. If they don't match, the data was corrupted and you'll need to send a request to resend (which means a return link).

All told, I'm sure it can be done; but whay anyone would want to is beyond me...
  • Believe it or not, this wqas actually how data was stored in early computers such as the Radio Shack TRS-80.

That computer wrote data and programs out as sound, and recorded them onto a standard audio cassette recorder. To save data to tape you had to press the record button on the cassette recorder, then command the computer to send the data. To read the data back in, you rewound the tape, pressed play, then commanded the computer to input.

The process was a bit tricky when you first started, because you had to get the playback volume set just right. But, once you got the hang of it, it worked just fine.

Still, I tossed aside that cassette recorder the day my first floppy drive arrived (5.25" floppy drive, with 60K of data storage, for only $599.00. Floppy disks were only $10.00 each.) and I haven't looked back.

Amazing that somebody would want to do this today...

BTW, when hard drives first came out, there was no practical backup method. So somebody who was probably a fan of the old cassettes came up with a brilliant piece of hardware: an interface between the computer and a video recorder. The data was then stored as video data...

:)

: : i want to send actual files and folders through the line-out pin where the speakers are connected to the computer, and receive the same through line-in. i dont know whether this is possible, if it is possible, please care to contact me at aerocostar@yahoo.com, or please tell how can i accomplish this job and using which language or technology...
    : :
    :
    : You're nuts, but I suppose you could convert data to sound format and pipe it through and then "decode" on the other end. Since it's analog, I'd probably use high and low frequencies to represent ones and zeros (of the data). You'd need to use relevant APIs to output and capture the sound (so most any windows language will work). You'd also need to establish a "range" in which the frequencies can be and still be valid since analog will be prone to electronic "noise" and distortion. For example, if the range could be represented by 1 through 100, then you could say that 5-15 could be a valid low tone and 85-95 a valid high tone. For validity, you'd need to develop some kind of CRC or hash to represent the data. If you send 100 bytes, the first 92 could be data and the other 8 the hash. If they don't match, the data was corrupted and you'll need to send a request to resend (which means a return link).
    :
    : All told, I'm sure it can be done; but whay anyone would want to is beyond me...
    :

[purple]Melissa[/purple]