need a traffic counter. . .

i dunno if this is the right place for it, but I need a traffic counter for my webpage. . . I just want it to count the people who go to my site and output the # at the bottom of my page. . . Please help me, or at least, redirect me to where I can get help. . . thanks

Comments

• : i dunno if this is the right place for it, but I need a traffic counter for my webpage. . . I just want it to count the people who go to my site and output the # at the bottom of my page. . . Please help me, or at least, redirect me to where I can get help. . . thanks
    :

This has nothing to do with JavaScript.

counters have to do with CGI components. The server for the website may have some components for this. You should find out.

What I did for my site was made a link to a cgi-generated image. I learned how from my ISP's website. maybe there is something similar for your ISP.

I think how it works is, the server saves the count and identification(IP address) of the people who visited the site(this is so it won't add more when the same person visits more). The count is permanently saved in a file(ie. user.dat) so it can be incremented when people access it again.

The html may look something like this:

To get the image, the cgi program(Count.cgi) runs incrementing the counter and saving the number temperarly as a printout on an image. The image is then shown on the page.