Visual SourceSafe Problem

Hello All,

I am creating a project in Visual SourceSafe. The steps I followed for doing this were:

1. I opened the SourceSafe Admin and created a new SS Database from the Tools Menu and created in a folder say C:SSDB.

2. Then I opened the same Database from the Users Menu.

3. I created two users with Read/write privileges for the same DB.

4. I used Visual SS Explorer to Create a Project in this Database.

5. I then Added the whole folder of my VC Project in this Project recursively.

6. It asked for the Working Folder and I gave the same Working Folder to it.

Now the problem is that when I open the same Workspace from VC Menu's Open WorkSpace and then Clicking "Source Control", the Workspace is opened but ClassView Information is always disabled. I have tried the same procedure with various Projects but I am getting the same error. Am I doing any mistake. If yes, kindly tell me.

Waiting anxiously for reply,

Aamir Butt
IIUI

Comments

• : Hello All,
    :
    : I am creating a project in Visual SourceSafe. The steps I followed for doing this were:
    :
    : 1. I opened the SourceSafe Admin and created a new SS Database from the Tools Menu and created in a folder say C:SSDB.
    :
    : 2. Then I opened the same Database from the Users Menu.
    :
    : 3. I created two users with Read/write privileges for the same DB.
    :
    : 4. I used Visual SS Explorer to Create a Project in this Database.
    :
    : 5. I then Added the whole folder of my VC Project in this Project recursively.
    :
    : 6. It asked for the Working Folder and I gave the same Working Folder to it.
    :
    : Now the problem is that when I open the same Workspace from VC Menu's Open WorkSpace and then Clicking "Source Control", the Workspace is opened but ClassView Information is always disabled. I have tried the same procedure with various Projects but I am getting the same error. Am I doing any mistake. If yes, kindly tell me.
    :
    :
    : Waiting anxiously for reply,
    :
    : Aamir Butt
    : IIUI
    :
    Not sure of an answer (do not have access to VSS currently, so cannot verify anything), but here a few thoughts on this problem:
    The times I have seen where Classview info is not available are when another copy of the project is opened and has "ownership" of the .clw file. If this project was added to VSS when it was open in an instance of VS, then perhaps the flag indicating it is already 'open' was saved into VSS?
    I thin you also have to have write permission on the .clw to get classview info (not positive on that though). You could test it with a project where you set the .clw to read-only then open the project to see if it works.
    I do know that sometimes the /clw can get problems and if you delete it, the project will ask if you it rebuilt from the source files the next time you open the project.