Boot Strap Code Please Help

Hi guys

i need some asm code to read a bootsector and jum to it ie read the hard disk mbr and start executing it.
many thanks

edwin

Comments

• : Hi guys
    :
    : i need some asm code to read a bootsector and jum to it ie read the hard disk mbr and start executing it.
    : many thanks

Isn't that what the BIOS is for?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• take a look to ralph browns IntList,Int13h.There is a entry bout absolute disk reads and the harddisk-mbrs and partition-tables.read the first 512 bytes from your boot-sector (there could be one in each partition) or the MBR (containing the main-bootstrap,used by partition-managers,etc) in a buffer.the just do a (far) jump to your buffer,and thats it.

i think there should be a BIOS-interrupt (Int19h?) doing this with the MBR,take a look to the IntList.

This works only in pure dos,outside any winbloze enviroment.winNT/XP and so on will terminate your program if you do this,Win9x or ealier will crash.
  • : Hi guys
    :
    : i need some asm code to read a bootsector and jum to it ie read the hard disk mbr and start executing it.
    : many thanks
    :
    : edwin
    :

take a peek here:
    http://www.beroset.com/

There's lots of neat sources for doing this type of work (and more!)

Take a look at "bootthru" in particular.

-jeff!