wav editor program

I have several large wave files that I need to break apart and name (for work). I am toying with writing a program to do this faster. I need to be able to grab a selected part of the file and save that selection to a file (with the correct naming convention). I also need to be able to select and silence parts of the file. If this can't be done with minimal work then I would just as soon not bother. As things are right now it will take 3 months (literally) to finish. Can someone give me a few clues where to start? I have good knowledge of C++, some C, and I can do a little MFC.

Comments

• jasonjason United Kingdom
    Hi all.

Why reinvent the wheel? Steinberg Wavelab Lite will do the job. Comes free with a copy of Cubasis Go (30).

Regards, Jason
  • I am currently using cood edit pro. I guess you missed the point. I want to create a program that will speed up the process of breaking large wave files into smaller ones. Since the way I will be saving the files is very specific I want control over how I save them. For instance I want the left mouse button to make a selection and then when I right click that selection it should automatically save the file with the correct naming convention without having to type the file name. I have no interest in reinventing the wheel so any existing libraries that I can use would be of help. I really don't want to spend much more than a week coding this program. The interface does not matter so much, and it does not need any bells or whistles. It just has to do this very specific job. Remeber: I have to break very large files into about 70,000 smaller wave files.

Here is an example of the naming convention (these files are fragments of a much larger file about 100,000,000bytes long):

question10_tp0.wav
    question10_hl0.wav
    question10_ai0.wav
    question10_ai1.wav
    question10_ai2.wav
    question10_ai3.wav
    frame11_tp0.wav
    frame11_tp1.wav

So you might see why I want to write my own program.

• jasonjason United Kingdom
    Sorry. Having realised the huge amount of splicing you need to do, I guess you do need a custom job! Just out of interest, what sort of audio files are that big?

Regards, Jason

• They are voice recordings for 3 educational programs. A voice talent reads a script for each lesson and it is recorded as pure wave data. I need to break it into individual paragraphs. For example if it is a multiple choice question the first wave file would be the question and the next four wave files would be answers 0-3.
    Any ideas where i should start/tutorials? I will use direct x if I absolutely have to but it seems kind of overkill. The book I have on directX focuses mostly on directmusic rather than directsound.
  • : They are voice recordings for 3 educational programs. A voice talent reads a script for each lesson and it is recorded as pure wave data. I need to break it into individual paragraphs. For example if it is a multiple choice question the first wave file would be the question and the next four wave files would be answers 0-3.
    : Any ideas where i should start/tutorials? I will use direct x if I absolutely have to but it seems kind of overkill. The book I have on directX focuses mostly on directmusic rather than directsound.
    :

hi!
    well i understand you use visual c++
    the best approch is going to unversity get book on pc hardware
    this books come with cd "sample programes", whice have low level sourch code of playing sound from simple array.
    their is sourch code in c of playing *.raw files in
    this site that i post earlier.
    http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/other/code.html#SB16SND
    but i recommend of the first approch.