To long file names

can you do anything about the fatct that qb 4.5 only can read short file names( no windows-file names)

Cause I'm making a program in wich I have to rename filenames to shorter ones:, I use this function:

a$ = "file name"

b$ = left$(a$,9)

NAME a$ AS b$

With filenames longer then 8 characters the program can't find the path, If anyone of you has an answer

please help me!!!, I'

I'm nearly desperate

Comments

• Try creating a function whcih changes the windows file name into a dos file name. To do that take out the space, take out the first six digits, and add a ~1, ~2, ~3, etc depending on how many files start with those six digits. For example:

VERY VERY LONG FILE NAME.txt = VERYVE~1.txt

I hope that helped.

• Thanks for your reply, But I don't think It will do the trick.

The point is that I have a dir with over 2000 files, all with long file-name, They all start with a code, and after that they have an description.

I want to sepperate the codes form the description, and the codes are all about 9 characters long.

So if I want to change the file names to xxx~1 then 2 characters will be missing, and these are very important.

I was wondering if that new version of qb could read long filenames, or if you use : shell a$; it will use

A windows kind of ms-dos.

Anyway, thanks for your reply

• : Thanks for your reply, But I don't think It will do the trick.

: The point is that I have a dir with over 2000 files, all with long file-name, They all start with a code, and after that they have an description.

: I want to sepperate the codes form the description, and the codes are all about 9 characters long.

: So if I want to change the file names to xxx~1 then 2 characters will be missing, and these are very important.

:

: I was wondering if that new version of qb could read long filenames, or if you use : shell a$; it will use

: A windows kind of ms-dos.

: Anyway, thanks for your reply

Ok, to rename files with long filenames with no spaces do this:

SHELL "ren " + a$ +" " + b$

if the file name has spaces:

SHELL "ren " + CHR$(34) + a$ + CHR$(34) + " " + CHR$(34) + b$ + CHR$(34)

It's messy, but it should work, the CHR$(34) is the code for the quotes that DOS requires when

a filename has spaces in it.

URL:http://www.geocities.com/irwinr12/