Help For MSSQL Newbie using VBasic 6

I am currently trying to create a standard exe using visual basic 6 to add and modify records in an MSSQL 8 Database. The database is located on a windows 2000 server but i need to modify the database from any network location.

The part i am struggling with is probably really easy but as its new to me i would appreciate anybodys input.

Could anybody tell me the best way of connecting to a remote database but explain it in very simple terms for me. i need to know which object model to make a referance to and how to get to the point of making a query.

i am farmiliar with using MS Access so the queries should not be too dissimilar i presume. Or can anybody point me to a sound guide on how to do this.

The PC i am developing the exe on is a windows xp home edition pc and i cannot install sql server except in client mode. i have 2 tables to connect to, within a database called dd.mdf
The tables are called "Formulations" and "Actions".

I would really really appreciate anybpody help with this.

Comments

• Well friend,
    As far as I have understood your problem.. It is like you are one of the user in the domain of the network. The main database is located on server machine... A few assumptions from my side

SERVER IP ADDRESS : 192.168.0.1(static)
    ONCE YOU're connected, you have passed a two factor authentication layer. username/password...
    If you are using ADO(ActiveX data objects) .. its very simple.. run a wizard
    if you are using DAO(Data Access Objects) the code goes like this:
    set db = opendatabase("\192.168.0.1Cdd.mdf") /*Connecting database
    set rs = db.recordset("Select * from actions where id = 1")/*Generating recordset

do until rs.eof()
    'perform any operation
    loop

if you face any problem in connection.. check your network administrator to grant you access to the directory where mdb file is located
    any problem.... umar692@yahoo.com... dont hesitate
    umar

I am currently trying to create a standard exe using visual basic 6 to add and modify records in an MSSQL 8 Database. The database is located on a windows 2000 server but i need to modify the database from any network location.
    :
    : The part i am struggling with is probably really easy but as its new to me i would appreciate anybodys input.
    :
    : Could anybody tell me the best way of connecting to a remote database but explain it in very simple terms for me. i need to know which object model to make a referance to and how to get to the point of making a query.
    :
    : i am farmiliar with using MS Access so the queries should not be too dissimilar i presume. Or can anybody point me to a sound guide on how to do this.
    :
    : The PC i am developing the exe on is a windows xp home edition pc and i cannot install sql server except in client mode. i have 2 tables to connect to, within a database called dd.mdf
    : The tables are called "Formulations" and "Actions".
    :
    : I would really really appreciate anybpody help with this.
    :
    :