Removing Linux

Hi everybody,

I had to remove RadHat6.0 from one of my machines. However, I was unable to remove the partitions with a DOS bootdisk. I had to start the installation off the RedHat CD and destroy the partitions I had previously created. Everything works fine; problem solved. However, there has to be a simpler way of doing this. My question is this: How can I remove Linux partitions besides the way I just mentioned?

Any constructive response is greatly appreciated,

Adhoc

PS: In case you must know, i'm installing Linux on my fastest machine and sending MS to its rightful place.... a 486.

Comments

• The link provided was very helpfull.

But out of curiosity, is there a way of removing Linux partitions that does not envolve 3rd party applications? Using a DOS or Linux bootdisk. I'd be interested in knowing if there was.

Thanks again,

Adhoc

• with the linuxbootdisk....i dunno,

but there should be a prog called

fdisk.exe on the win-bootdisk,

it's a partitoning tool, but

i think it destroys all you're data....never

used.

i think you could also do it "by hand", by

changing the mbr (master boot record), also

never done it thought.

oh, but what i've done is deleted all

my data a few times while partitioning,

with some freeware tool, but in the end it

worked...

• I originally attempted to remove the partitions with a win95 bootdisk.

I used fdisk and I was able to delete one of the partitions (non-dos partition, if i'm correct).

However, there was an extended partition and a logical one that I was unable to remove with DOS's fdisk.

I did try doing fdisk /mbr.

This wipes out your Master Boot Record so, whatever loader was there previously (in my case LILO) is no more.

From there, I simply restarted the Linux installation and killed the remaining two partitions, and I rebooted.

It did the job.

Also, I know that partitioning software like partition magic are capable of doing this aswell.

I just thought that there might be something I didn't know about fdisk that could do this for me.

Anyways, it's not that important.

I do appreciate the help sungam.

much appreciated,

Adhoc

• fdisk should work fine, boot with a MS-DOS formatted floppy, and run fdisk, kill the ext2 and linux native partitions.

the other option is Partition magic, which is a top quality tool. it will let you mess about with partition sizes etc. again has to be loaded in MS-DOS, so boot off a floppy.