Advice.

Like you all were at one point, I am a complete novice on programming. The particular kind of programming I'm interested in is Game programming. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice that would help? Like what languages would be good to look into and things of that sort.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi Noside.

I personally would check out BlitzBasic at http://www.blitzbasic.com

That is a good, easy, fast language (in my opinion) to learn. You can download a demo version that is fully functional other than you cant compile the programs you make so you have to run them from inside BB.

Good place to start and learn how programs go together. If you need any help with it give me an email. I started a basic tutorial of bb on my site http://www.rbm.com.au/staticgerbil you can check out if you want.

Cheers.

: Like you all were at one point, I am a complete novice on programming. The particular kind of programming I'm interested in is Game programming. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice that would help? Like what languages would be good to look into and things of that sort.
    :
    : Thank you.
    :

• [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:15:59[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:11:22[/red][/b][hr]
    First of all, I think most of us around here are novices. Second of all, if I were you, I would take Blitz Basic, roll it up into a small piece of trash, and eat it. (no offense staticgerbil). Serously though, I think everyone around here would agree that C++ is a very good all-around language. You can do a lot with it, and that should be everyone's first laungauge. That's just my opinion, though. ;) Another good word of advice: learn how to program the basics before programming games.

• No offence taken funkydude :) But i think i would feed it to your brother or sister. I have heard it can do weird things to your digestive system.

The only reason i recomended blitz is because Noside said he wanted to learn to make games and when i started i couldn't be stuffed learning the boring basics and blitz and amos (on amiga at that stage) cut out that stuff. On PC in 3 commands you can have the resolution set and a picture file of some sort on the screen. Getting mouse, keyboard and joystick presses is as easy as one or two commands and same with sound.

Blitz (basic in general i guess) just made it easier for me to understand how the programs i wanted to write were structured before i went ahead with c/asm.

If your up to it though Noside start with c. It will probably be the main language you will end up using.

Also just wondering what you did end up doing Noside? It's been over a month since the original post?

: [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:15:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by funkydude9 at 2003-7-2 15:11:22[/red][/b][hr]
    : First of all, I think most of us around here are novices. Second of all, if I were you, I would take Blitz Basic, roll it up into a small piece of trash, and eat it. (no offense staticgerbil). Serously though, I think everyone around here would agree that C++ is a very good all-around language. You can do a lot with it, and that should be everyone's first laungauge. That's just my opinion, though. ;) Another good word of advice: learn how to program the basics before programming games.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• I understand that it's easy, staticgerbil. All I mean is it's a program laungauge that is only meant to do one thing: make games as quick as possible. Now, it's good if you want to jump right into things an start making games right away, but bad in the long-run if you want to actually learn programming. See, like DarkBasic, which is more popular, you don't really learn actual programming. You might learn some easy quick commands but that's it. I'm sure its not very flexible, either, which is another down side. But like I said, it's good for people who don't really want to learn programming, and just want to make games. And if you gonna do that anyway, why not try something more like http://www.darkbasic.com/ It's more popular and you can probably find more help if you need it.
  • Fair enough.

I really have no idea what the differences are between the basics? Don't use them much anymore. I just found blitz usefull when i started out (long time ago) and I think basic languages are more usefull than most people give them credit for. I have also downloaded some wicked games that others have made on it (3d and 2d).

It might be usefull for more things once blitz max comes out. I have had a quick chat with the guys making it (via email) and asked if it would eventually accept asm code and some other features like the amiga version and they said blitz max probably would.

On the amiga you could do all sorts of cool stuff with it. It wasn't just for games.

Anywho. Each to their own. I guess it is just a matter off trying some stuff and see what you like.

While we are in an advice thread... Would you recommend DirectX for graphics with VC++? I haven't done any windows graphics work (mostly play with console stuff and dos).

Cheers.

: I understand that it's easy, staticgerbil. All I mean is it's a program laungauge that is only meant to do one thing: make games as quick as possible. Now, it's good if you want to jump right into things an start making games right away, but bad in the long-run if you want to actually learn programming. See, like DarkBasic, which is more popular, you don't really learn actual programming. You might learn some easy quick commands but that's it. I'm sure its not very flexible, either, which is another down side. But like I said, it's good for people who don't really want to learn programming, and just want to make games. And if you gonna do that anyway, why not try something more like http://www.darkbasic.com/ It's more popular and you can probably find more help if you need it.
    :

• : While we are in an advice thread... Would you recommend DirectX for graphics with VC++? I haven't done any windows graphics work (mostly play with console stuff and dos).
    :
    :

Dunno, I'm only doing dos graphics right now with Allegro (a very good beginner API). I don't know how much you know, know what I mean? But DirectX is probably the next best thing.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by Wudan at 2003-7-9 16:27:0[/red][/b][hr]
    Hi Guys.
    just my 2p worth, but here you go....

if you have 'limited' programming knowledge, Blitz is absolutely the best without doubt, yes do it, absolutely 100%. The majority of posts on the game programming message boards are related to non-game specific issues. Mostly techy issues. Blitz simplifies all that underneath techy stuff and offers any enthusiastic game coder a way in with minimal techno headache. it allows you to concentrate on the game side and forget the stuff that mostly goes wrong. After you've done that, you can get into a more scalable languages such as c++. As a small example. My living has made sure i almost live/breathe/eat c++. With that in mind, recently I was asked to do a small prototype game demo! I Used Blitz and wrote the game in 4 days.

if you have 'better' c++ coding knowledge. Blitz is an excellent prototype tool. I use it all the time. If you have an idea, you can knock it up realy fast in blitz. c++ offers the scale element. By that I mean, if its a realy big game, or you plan to build on what your written in the past, then c++ is the way to go, and even then, its only the way to go if you've been using it for a few years. Blitz is just so quick and easy. Its a lesson in simplicity.

So, if you want to get into game coding quickly, and then have a decent foothold on programming languages, get blitz.
    If you want to spend a bit longer learnig c++, then thats ok, unfortunately, the only way to display anything is with directx/opengl etc, which, compared to blitz is a realy bad nightmare.

For what its worth, i've tried the dos stuff and it sucks. That may seem harsh, but thats just my humble opinion. Anyone wanting to get into game coding as quick as possible should try blitz for a week. You can even try it for free so what do you lose ?

Blitz rocks