should i install linux, and where from?

I've got windows 98....

it sometimes decided to close itself down... whch is annoying, and i wondered if linux is better..

but i haven't learnt to program yet.. so i want to know if i can still use it withour knowing that.. and if it's easy to use for someone who isn't very experienced with computers....

and also can i just download it free or do i need to buy it soemwhere...?

thanks for any help!

Comments

• welp, you can download it if you have the bandwidth and time or you could buy it on CD.

Since you seem to have a .co.uk email addy I will assume your in the UK. (right?)

click on the link for a selection of distros on CD.

Here is a little rant about a couple of them..

Slackware (www.slackware.com);

nice, not as many 'setup' programs as Redhat, possibly a good selection for after you have learnt Linux a bit.

Redhat (www.redhat.com);

fairly easy to use and setup, less programs in the default install (you don't get splitvt, seejpeg, etc like Slack). Only one let down, many programs which are just in a .c and don't have a ./configure will not compile without editing the source..

Debian (www.debian.org?);

Supposed to be really nice, I haven't actually installed it, supposed to also have a nice install process.

There are various other ones such as ka0s Linux, Caldera Open Linux etc.