Need info on performing operations on access database

Ok, I am totally new to VB. I have been programming in C++, Java, SQL and a few others for a few years but I've only just moved on to VB.
I am trying to create an application that when run, will first bring up a Login Screen that only prompts for a name. This name is then entered into a database (which has already been set up and connected to) and an id number is assigned to this name. If the name already exists it will just reference the existing details on that record. My question is really about performing sql queries and operations from vb. Is there some way to update, insert and select to and from an access database from vb? i.e. with the click of a button. Keep in mind that I have no previous experience with vb and I have no documentation so I've been unable to get any help from there.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• : Ok, I am totally new to VB. I have been programming in C++, Java, SQL and a few others for a few years but I've only just moved on to VB.
    : I am trying to create an application that when run, will first bring up a Login Screen that only prompts for a name. This name is then entered into a database (which has already been set up and connected to) and an id number is assigned to this name. If the name already exists it will just reference the existing details on that record. My question is really about performing sql queries and operations from vb. Is there some way to update, insert and select to and from an access database from vb? i.e. with the click of a button. Keep in mind that I have no previous experience with vb and I have no documentation so I've been unable to get any help from there.
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : David
    :
    The assumption is that you have already made either an ADO or DAO connection to your access database. All you need to do is create a recordset of the table that you require. An SQL statement can be part of the recordset creation which allows you to filter records.

Dependant on the type of recordset created you can then move through the records and perform update, add, delete records in the recordset.

Hope this helps

John :)