N64 / Console Programming

Hello,

I'm very curious about console programming, so can

someone tell me where should I start??? Like what

hardware equipments should I bought etc, Thanx :)

...insect

Comments

• : Hello,

: I'm very curious about console programming, so can

: someone tell me where should I start??? Like what

: hardware equipments should I bought etc, Thanx :)

: ...insect

Buy yourself a fairly crappy PC (unless you got yourself a ton of money, in which case buy a shit hot ninja PC ;) ) Get yourself a book onC programming, A book on Assembler programmming (not esssential but worth a look) and a book on 3d programming (Micheal Abrashes books are fairly good in that departent)

ANd read, and program, and read and program some more until you are fairly good then send of for a job.

• : : Hello,

: : I'm very curious about console programming, so can

: : someone tell me where should I start??? Like what

: : hardware equipments should I bought etc, Thanx :)

: : ...insect

: Buy yourself a fairly crappy PC (unless you got yourself a ton of money, in which case buy a shit hot ninja PC ;) ) Get yourself a book onC programming, A book on Assembler programmming (not esssential but worth a look) and a book on 3d programming (Micheal Abrashes books are fairly good in that departent)

: ANd read, and program, and read and program some more until you are fairly good then send of for a job.

There are a few more point a may want to tell you/whom ever reads this. 1. it depends a lot

on which system you plan to write for cause your going to need to get either the dev kit or

all the header files and *.s files and stuff like that also I know Jag 64 is basically dead but

its an open system and programmersheave.com can help you with getting setup with that if

you are thinking about working on playstation I would hold out until playstation 2 comes

out because you'll have much more to work with. 2. Once you get your dev kit setup and

you have the capabilities to write game for which ever system I would advise that you write

a program that reports back to you all the video modes you have and stuff like that. 'Cause

one example of why that is important is because on the vga card mode x was discovered by

accident.3. Lastly,If you plan to program on the playstation use the djgpp or what some

call the gnu compiler version 2.1 or higher if exist (I havent checked for any updates on

that)the only thing youll need extra is the actual hardware and the uploading info and the

header files,but the compiler is basicly if not exactly the same. If you have any question

relating to console game programming/PC game programming feel free to email me a

whgold@home.com

• That may not be such a smart idea, but you may not have a choice. There isn't an emulator for N64 that works with every game, thus some functions must not be supported. If you are trying to fix a bug, how will you know if it is something in the emulator or in your program? That would be a real pain. On the other hand, Nintendo doesn't give the devkits away to just anyone and the emulator may be the only way to go.

: : : : Hello,

: : : : I'm very curious about console programming, so can

: : : : someone tell me where should I start??? Like what

: : : : hardware equipments should I bought etc, Thanx :)

: : : : ...insect

: : : Buy yourself a fairly crappy PC (unless you got yourself a ton of money, in which case buy a shit hot ninja PC ;) ) Get yourself a book onC programming, A book on Assembler programmming (not esssential but worth a look) and a book on 3d programming (Micheal Abrashes books are fairly good in that departent)

: : : ANd read, and program, and read and program some more until you are fairly good then send of for a job.

: : There are a few more point a may want to tell you/whom ever reads this. 1. it depends a lot

: : on which system you plan to write for cause your going to need to get either the dev kit or

: : all the header files and *.s files and stuff like that also I know Jag 64 is basically dead but

: : its an open system and programmersheave.com can help you with getting setup with that if

: : you are thinking about working on playstation I would hold out until playstation 2 comes

: : out because you'll have much more to work with. 2. Once you get your dev kit setup and

: : you have the capabilities to write game for which ever system I would advise that you write

: : a program that reports back to you all the video modes you have and stuff like that. 'Cause

: : one example of why that is important is because on the vga card mode x was discovered by

: : accident.3. Lastly,If you plan to program on the playstation use the djgpp or what some

: : call the gnu compiler version 2.1 or higher if exist (I havent checked for any updates on

: : that)the only thing youll need extra is the actual hardware and the uploading info and the

: : header files,but the compiler is basicly if not exactly the same. If you have any question

: : relating to console game programming/PC game programming feel free to email me a

: : whgold@home.com

: someone suggested to me to get an emulator and use it.

• This at the end of the day is wasted because you need to program, not know everything there is to know about a console. Reading the tech specs of an N64(for example) is easy, learning to program properly is hard.