Bash/shell programming

I want to know if anybody know if there are equivalent functions to those of the windows console i/o functions. Things like direct character writing, exact placement, adding/removing color to characters. If you know functions for doing things like this with console applications, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• : I want to know if anybody know if there are equivalent functions to those of the windows console i/o functions. Things like direct character writing, exact placement, adding/removing color to characters. If you know functions for doing things like this with console applications, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
    :

you can use ncurses. the problem with the 'simple answer' is usually that there are so many terminal types out there that handle colors differently.
  • : : I want to know if anybody know if there are equivalent functions to those of the windows console i/o functions. Things like direct character writing, exact placement, adding/removing color to characters. If you know functions for doing things like this with console applications, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
    : :
    :
    : you can use ncurses. the problem with the 'simple answer' is usually that there are so many terminal types out there that handle colors differently.
    :

Do you happen to know where I could find some good documents on ncurses?
    Ethereal software and Mag monitors, doesn't get much better now does it?